Domainsync only check 50 domains

ditto

I have upgraded to WHMCS 5.2.3. And I have now setup the cron job for crons/domainsync.php - then I just now run the cron job.

However when the cron job completed and I get the email "Domain Syncronisation Cron Report", then I see it only checked 50 of my domains, however there is serveral hundreds domains in my system.

I have read about it here http://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Tab#Domain_Sync_Enabled - however it does not say anything about a limitation of 50 domains.

Why was not all domains checked, but only 50 of them? Is this a bug?

• 1 month later...

I would like to have a customize configuration for this. It's up to admin to check 50 or 500 or all domains at once. 50 domains sync only takes less than 10 seconds for running on our server, so I guess it doesn't take much CPU for sync'ing more.

I have upgraded to WHMCS 5.2.3. And I have now setup the cron job for crons/domainsync.php - then I just now run the cron job.

However when the cron job completed and I get the email "Domain Syncronisation Cron Report", then I see it only checked 50 of my domains, however there is serveral hundreds domains in my system.

I have read about it here http://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Tab#Domain_Sync_Enabled - however it does not say anything about a limitation of 50 domains.

Why was not all domains checked, but only 50 of them? Is this a bug?

This can be configured as often as you like, however to avoid overloading your domain registrar we recommend running it every 4 hours. It states in the documentation you linked, "The sync script will check Active 50 and Pending Transfer domains at a time"

This is not a bug, but a suitable amount for usage of the entire community. Setting this to every 30 minutes, or slightly fewer is also doable for large domain lists.

I would like to have a customize configuration for this. It's up to admin to check 50 or 500 or all domains at once. 50 domains sync only takes less than 10 seconds for running on our server, so I guess it doesn't take much CPU for sync'ing more.

Hello,

It's not about the CPU, but the time out & memory consumption. Shorting the limit allows it to complete each time, rather than having to debug why it may have not completed with a long limit set. ie: Set to check 500, and times out after 70 due to memory limits, execution limits, etc in PHP.

Typically, the max_execution limitation is 300 seconds - or 5 minutes. Depending on the server speed, issues with the registar to reply the response, etc it's possible to get close to that 5 minute mark. Keeping it lower, but allowing it to be ran regularly keeps this available for everyone, including those who may not have access to modify their PHP settings.

That's why we should have this customized. It's up to each admin to setup how many domains sync'ed each time. Setting up cron running 30 minutes will generate multiple emails to admin's inbox and it's not the good way to manage. With the old domain sync scripts before, we haven't seen any issue when running sync for all domains at once. No complain from registrars either.

Then, why do you need to create more job for every admin? Creating a configuration for domainsync in your code will help to save time for all WHMCS admins. Do you recognize that? I am not expert in programing, but I guess it will not take more than 30 minutes for adjusting the code. Add an option to General Settings, add functions for saving in database, add a check before running domainsync. Solved.

Don't want to be rude, but you are only speaking from your side, not your customers side and it's not a good practice at all.

Hello,

I did not mean to initiate a debate. However, my understanding of this does help the clients. For example, say it's customizable, and a user increases it - which I would assume quite a few would based on various commentary.

Now, PHP's max_execution time, or memory_limit ends the script prematurely, allowing it not to sync completely. The user is then forced to spend time investigating, troubleshooting, contacting support, etc - adding time for the task when a cron could be setup one time to be ran at 10-30 minute intervals.

If you'd like to see this as a feature, the best place to request it is on the feature request system, it currently has 11 votes:

http://requests.whmcs.com/responses/configurable-domain-sync-limit

Now, PHP's max_execution time, or memory_limit ends the script prematurely, allowing it not to sync completely. The user is then forced to spend time investigating, troubleshooting, contacting support, etc - adding time for the task when a cron could be setup one time to be ran at 10-30 minute intervals.

I see your point. It can be resolved with some notes into documents at http://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Tab#Domain_Sync_Enabled

If you'd like to see this as a feature, the best place to request it is on the feature request system, it currently has 11 votes:

http://requests.whmcs.com/responses/configurable-domain-sync-limit

Already did it. I am the #11 :)

I see your point. It can be resolved with some notes into documents at http://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Tab#Domain_Sync_Enabled

What more would you like added to the documentation? If you feel that somethings lacking, we're happy to elaborate on a subject.

Already did it. I am the #11 :)

Great! Please note that I'm not negativing it's a valid request by any means. Just looking at it from a different angle :)

What more would you like added to the documentation? If you feel that somethings lacking, we're happy to elaborate on a subject.

No, I am not asking for adding anything else to current document. I just have it as location reference. In case you are allowing users customize this, then you can add some warnings like in your posts to that place, so people are already warned if they want to sync thousands domains at once.