Best way to block WHMCS from Search Engines?

rhbkweb

Hi,

I want to hide my WHMCS from all Search Engines. My WHMCS is installed on a subdomain, so i have placed a robots.txt file a the root of WHMCS installation with the following content:

User-agent: *

Disallow: /

So my question is if this is the best way to block and hide WHMCS from search engines or there are other better / most adequate ways to do this instead of using a robots.txt file?

Thanks

I would put this meta in the <head></head>

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"/>

@Kian Thanks for your advice. Just a question to you: In what WHMCS file and/or files should i put that meta tag?

So now i have know i have the option to go with a robots.txt file (as im now) or to put a noindex meta tag on WHMCS file.

So anyone else want to share your opinions on what of the 2 ways will be the most effective and recommended?

Thanks

templates/{your-template}/header.tpl.

With noindex you "say" to spiders "Do not index my page". With nofollow you say "And don't even try to follow links on this page to crawl something else". I would use robots.txt for example to exclude images and some particular files on my site from being crawled. It's useful when you want them not to waste time on those page in favour of more important pages of your site. The problem with robots.txt file is that it's a publicly available file so if you want to hide a page you shouldn't use it.

May I ask why you wish to hide WHMCS from search engines? WHMCS is a billing utility, which focuses on selling products - disabling search engines from crawling your WHMCS installation decreases your online visibility.

I have a public website, and that is what i want to be index by Search Engines. For me WHMCS is used just as a private client area, so no need to have it index by search engines.

Any opinion?

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/16/2020 at 2:59 PM, ADDWIRE Creative Studio said:

WHMCS is horrible for SEO. Duplicate content issues, Redirect chains and loops, Temp redirects. It's just a mess and horrible for Ranking. Don't get me wrong, WHMCS is one of the best pieces of software I have ever invested in. But Until they improve their SEO It's blocked on my site for indexing.

I know it's old post but this is so true. WHMCS it's a terrible platform for SEOs even in 2022. I switched to WHMCS as my main website and i regret for doing that there a ton of redirects and loops and trying not to index some specific links is just a mess.