Charging USD instead of GBP!?!?

Hi.

I can't see any 'bugs' or 'help' sections so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section.

Tried searching the forums = nothing. Tried contacting WHMCS support = nothing, just a 'it's not our fault' response. So I thought I'd try the forums before switching to another provider as I quite like WHMCS (although the lack of support is a bit disappointing to say the least!). Anyway, here goes...

We've only received 6 sign ups, but out of those 6 there's been 3 of them come through in US Dollars. Prices are set in UK Pounds and USD isn't available, but when those customers used the 'paypal subscribe' buttons on the invoices the payments were taken in US Dollars. Their invoices obviously showed as not being paid. We had to cancel the subscriptions via PayPal and ask the customers to click 'subscribe' again. Luckily they did, and the second time they did it the payments came through in UK Pounds - this was achieved with no changes made by us and the customers used the same invoices, so I don't understand why the payments came through in US Dollars the first time?

GBP is the only currency listed in Setup -> Payments -> Currencies.

payments came through in USD at a non-converted rate. ie. instead of £4.95 it came through as $4.95.

Our PayPal account is set to only accept GBP.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brett

With WHMCS you could disable the subscription option

This will then force customers to pay as each invoice is received

Otherwise, you will have to remove the PayPal Subscribe option

You will find this in your PayPal account

Alternatively, change the setting in your PayPal account, to have all income streams in your native currency (ie GBP)

This is rather clumsy as this will allow payment in GBP, convert it into USD for the customer, and then back to GBP into your own PayPal account

Edited by m8internet

With WHMCS you could disable the subscription option

This will then force customers to pay as each invoice is received

Otherwise, you will have to remove the PayPal Subscribe option

You will find this in your PayPal account

Alternatively, change the setting in your PayPal account, to have all income streams in your native currency (ie GBP)

This is rather clumsy as this will allow payment in GBP, convert it into USD for the customer, and then back to GBP into your own PayPal account

Hi m8internet.

Thanks for the reply, but none of that solves the problem.

The bottom line is WHMCS is sending the data to PayPal and converting it from £4.95 to $4.95. Not all of the time though (50% of the time so far), so it has to be an error somewhere.

The bottom line is WHMCS is sending the data to PayPal and converting it from £4.95 to $4.95

Not this old problem again...

This suggests you are using a gateway module called : PayPal No Fee

Is this the case?

The module within WHMCS for subscription converts GBP to USD at the correct currency rate, so quite correctly it is nothing to do with them

Equally, if the PayPal subscription option is active, then PayPal use their currency rate

Not this old problem again...

This suggests you are using a gateway module called : PayPal No Fee

Is this the case?

The module within WHMCS for subscription converts GBP to USD at the correct currency rate, so quite correctly it is nothing to do with them

Equally, if the PayPal subscription option is active, then PayPal use their currency rate

No, that's not the case. I don't even have a 'PayPal No Fee' option in my WHMCS control panel!

WHMCS does/should NOT convert anything and neither does PayPal, I only have GBP enabled in my WHMCS control panel.

To be clear .... all prices are set in GBP, there should be no currency conversion at all. 3 out of 6 customers have had this happen to them, and all 6 have used the exact same links/products and all have UK PayPal accounts.

I honestly appreciate your attempt at helping, but it appears you haven't quite understood the problem.

Start with the easy questions ...

Do you have both Currencies defined in WHMCS ?

I would tend to agree, there is an option for Conv rate and by default it is either blank or 1.000

As a result of this, £4.95 becomes $4.95

You then have to force the currency update, which thereafter normally runs from the cron

Setup -> Automation, scroll down to Currency Auto Update Settings, and make sure both boxes are ticked (active)

Go back to the currencies and remove the 1.000 from any other currencies other than the default (ie GBP)

Start with the easy questions ...

Do you have both Currencies defined in WHMCS ?

No. Well at least I didn't, but as the problem is still happening I enabled USD again yesterday. Now it's just a case of waiting for more people to sign up so we can see if the problem has been fixed.

GBP is the only currency with a base rate of 1.000 and both boxes are ticked under 'Currency Auto Update Settings'.

Hopefully it works now, although we didn't really want USD enabled so this solution isn't perfect.

it's just a case of waiting for more people to sign up so we can see if the problem has been fixed

You don't need to wait

Create an order in your own (or test) account, select Mail In Payment or Cheque

Inspect the emails and invoices

Once you have verified these, delete the orders and invoices

For PayPal, use the sandbox, check, and then as above delete the orders and invoices

I don't currently use any other curriencies, other than GBP

I had a dreadful problem at the beginning, similar to yours

No matter what I did I kept getting USD as the default, when deleting USD and putting GBP as the default (which didn't make sense)

I then realised you have to create GBP, and then delete USD

This then puts GBP as the default, then displays default next to it which it wasn't before, and solves the issue

Try that and compare, if GBP is does not currently show as default

Also check the MySQL database for GBP and USD

Edited by m8internet

You don't need to wait

Create an order in your own (or test) account, select Mail In Payment or Cheque

Inspect the emails and invoices

Once you have verified these, delete the orders and invoices

For PayPal, use the sandbox, check, and then as above delete the orders and invoices

Again, the problem doesn't happen every time. 50% of sign ups have had this problem, the other 50% didn't. Nothing different between them, all using the same product link. Just seems to be a random problem which is making it impossible to replicate. I've tried 3 or 4 times myself and it showed as GBP on PayPal every time. But I know the problem exists as we had a few orders come through in GBP, with payments from PayPal in USD at unconverted rates. And 1 person didn't complete payment, they just sent us an email complaining about it being in USD when they got to PayPal.

I don't currently use any other curriencies, other than GBP

I had a dreadful problem at the beginning, similar to yours

No matter what I did I kept getting USD as the default, when deleting USD and putting GBP as the default (which didn't make sense)

I then realised you have to create GBP, and then delete USD

This then puts GBP as the default, then displays default next to it which it wasn't before, and solves the issue

Try that and compare, if GBP is does not currently show as default

When I originally added GBP I did it that way - added GBP, then deleted USD. GBP is showing as the main/default currency.

Also check the MySQL database for GBP and USD

To be honest I wouldn't know where to look. I can use PHPMyAdmin for exporting/importing, but that's about it. I'll have a look now just to see if anything obvious sticks out.

I had the same problem, while I set another currency its back to USD or whatever it changed. So, the point is that default value always back to be the first. I though this is because the conv rate but It can't be changed here.

Temporary solution for me:

I made 2 currencies and both value is all the same, e.g:

- GBP

- GBP

:lol: