What do you do for backups

xboss

Hey all,

I currently have a backup service that costs around 1 dollar per zipped gig per month. It copies hosting accounts but not my root. Anyway, I was wondering what some of you guys are using for backups. Are you guys using any services or do you just get another server and set a chron to copy your servers over or what?

We have our own backup servers - there's no way I'd trust another hosting company with backups of our data.

We're backing up with a backup provider, not a host, exactly. Besides, I'd imagine your server is at a DC, right? Techs and the folks that provisioned that server have access, probably.

Sleep well. ;)

• 2 months later...
For me the best way to make a backup is done manually, so one is sure he has all the files you need and nothing went wrong in the process, as the databases that the root file hosting and all the rest ...

This is still no guarantee as i have seen manually backups fail to backup everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think about how much time and effort and money we spend for security, and you would actually let ANY third party have access to and make copies of your db and your customers db and personal files and scripts. That is just nuts folks.

Keep it internal, pay for a script or something you can load on your host server and use that, charge your clients for the service to help pay for it or do it for free. But keep it internal. In my opinion never never never use a third party (paid or unpaid, bonded or not) to backup your data.

Think about how many times you have seen on the news where trucks taking offline/offsite backups to a storage facility have been hijacked and the data stolen. Happend to several credit card companies as well as AOL and several others. In those cases crooks dont have to be smart enough to crack systems, they just wait for the driver of the truck to get distracted and snatch the stuff, or steal the truck all together.

So IMO if you have to do offsite use an armored service only but i would prefer keeping the data in a very protected vault in the same building and do the backups yourself and keep them all internal. The more doors you open the more risk you pass along to your clients. Peoples lives have been ruined so dont even open that door.

Think about how much time and effort and money we spend for security, and you would actually let ANY third party have access to and make copies of your db and your customers db and personal files and scripts. That is just nuts folks.

so you host your files and clients files etc. on your VPS or dedicated server. even these other can gain access to these files etc.

VPS supplier and or Datacenter staff for a dedicated server DC staff can still gain access