Addon: Login Modules (Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc)

Hello,

We have released a WHMCS addon module which allows clients to log in with their external accounts such as:

- Facebook

- Google

- Twitter

- OpenID

- Wordpress

- and many more.

This addon uses the Janrain Engage service here:

http://www.janrain.com/products/engage

They do have a free version of their service. You must have an account with them for the addon to work.

There is a demo of this up on our own website. Here is the log in page:

https://www.gowhmcs.com/clientarea.php

This addon may be ordered here:

https://www.gowhmcs.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=3

Edited by atDev

Hi Ben,

How do you assign a users WHMCS account to the login via an external account?

e.g. If the WHMCS login is user@clientdomain.com but their facebook log in is different@hotmail.com how are they matched up when the user tries to sign in with different@hotmail.com/facebook login?

Hello,

I assume you mean for WHMCS users already in WHMCS before you install this addon? This is a good question and I hope to add support for this soon.

There really isn't a good way to do this because a lot of the login modules don't return the users email address under certain privacy settings and as you mention, they may be different. I think the next best thing we can do is perhaps have a link in existing user accounts client area which is like "Link My Account" which would link to an external account. The only problem here is WHMCS does not have a "merge users" API command. I would need to ask Matt to possibly add one.

I am welcome to any other ideas you might have.

Login with Facebook, accept Facebook credits!

I think you would have to develop a facebook application to actually accept facebook credits. You would then have to somehow tell WHMCS if they redeemed credits and apply a $ credit to their account. This is a different addon as it would be fairly complex :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I think it may be a mis-configuration because our instructions are a bit confusing which we are going to correct.

Use the "subdomain" name for your App ID in WHMCS when configuring the addon. So Janrain will give you something like... yourname.rpxnow.com. Enter "yourname" for the App ID.

Hi,

I think it may be a mis-configuration because our instructions are a bit confusing which we are going to correct.

Use the "subdomain" name for your App ID in WHMCS when configuring the addon. So Janrain will give you something like... yourname.rpxnow.com. Enter "yourname" for the App ID.

We have updated the instructions in the addon for any future users who download.

Was looking good till I saw their prices for pro. I will sit this one out.

They offer a free version unless you need more advanced features. The branding on their free version seems worth it to us because its a one stop shop for integrating the log in with a huge list of other websites/services.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

I mean as a hosting client. I guess I'm just failing to see why they would use this, (given the privacy considerations most people have) and that its only 1 more login for customers who probably use roboform or the in-built login facilities that most modern browsers have.

If there are other uses / benefits, I think it would help me and other potential customers of your product to hear them. :-)

Hi Ben,

I mean as a hosting client. I guess I'm just failing to see why they would use this, (given the privacy considerations most people have) and that its only 1 more login for customers who probably use roboform or the in-built login facilities that most modern browsers have.

If there are other uses / benefits, I think it would help me and other potential customers of your product to hear them. :-)

It saves the end user time so they can pay you faster :) It is a matter of convenience for the user.

If a new user comes to your site they generally have to create a new account during the order process. This will allow them to log in within a few clicks and be on their way to complete the order process.

It is fairly common for websites to offer social login features such as this. Sure not all users will use it but it doesn't hurt to provide them the option. Many would rather click a few things and be logged in.

It saves the end user time so they can pay you faster :) It is a matter of convenience for the user.

If a new user comes to your site they generally have to create a new account during the order process. This will allow them to log in within a few clicks and be on their way to complete the order process.

It is fairly common for websites to offer social login features such as this. Sure not all users will use it but it doesn't hurt to provide them the option. Many would rather click a few things and be logged in.

but the whole idea of clients registering and then to login to place an order is so you have their account details linked to their ordered server/product.

if they login using FB etc. then they are not leaving their details to be linked to a purchased service/product