Pay per click and search engines

Hi,

Been wondering this for a little while now.

Take this example:-

You have your site advertised on a site and your paying per click.

They say you have had 15 clicks in one day but your apache logs show 1 - could this be search engines following the links as they are links on their site which then send you off to mine after processing and I would presume the SE would make a note of the link out once it is passed it and not follow it but by that time their system has charged you as it has seen a click on their internal link to my site?

In the "view source" of the site in question the links do not have rel nofollow on them.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this kind of thing as I have a feeling we have been charged for a lot of of clicks that we have not had delivered.

Thanks

Paul

i am sorry to say but they have overcharged you with low quality traffic.

The server logs files are the most correct.

In the future i would advice you when doing a ppc campaign to add at the end of your url like that yourdomain.com/pagename.html/?ppc_engine_name always with the /?ppc_engine_name at the end also you can add any descriptive name that u will only know to be able and track it

regards

vasilis

my main thought is can search engines looking at that link trigger a charge but never end up at my site?

Its quite plausible that people that click dont always end up at your site

- slow loading / connecting sites - people tend to hit back if it doesnt appear in micro-seconds

- some proxy systems fudge up the http referrer so you dont see what you expect in the logs

- "scripts" that scumbags use on the adsense enabled sites that click to gain the revenue then close the browser instantly

So there will often be a discrepancy, but if its wildly out you shoud take it up with them, armed with your logs.