Hosting provider question

k2zs

Question

I am currently with Host Gator in a shared/reseller plan and the performance is terrible. I am thinking of going to Liquid Web for a VPS1 plan and purchasing my own WHMCS license. Is there anyone here that can provide good/bad feedback?

Also, I currently have WHMCS 4.5 and am constantly getting hack attacks and bogus ticket submissions. Is there anything new in WHMCS 5.x to help prevent this? I turned off ticket submissions to all non-clients but somehow they are registering as clients and submitting these php exploit scripts.

Thanks in advance for your help...

10 answers to this question

I am currently with Host Gator in a shared/reseller plan and the performance is terrible. I am thinking of going to Liquid Web for a VPS1 plan and purchasing my own WHMCS license. Is there anyone here that can provide good/bad feedback?

Also, I currently have WHMCS 4.5 and am constantly getting hack attacks and bogus ticket submissions. Is there anything new in WHMCS 5.x to help prevent this? I turned off ticket submissions to all non-clients but somehow they are registering as clients and submitting these php exploit scripts.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Hello,

I haven't used Liquid Web but they appear to be highly regarded on webhostingtalk.com, I read a positive review just a few minutes ago.

Re the ticket submissions, there was a patch released to fix this a month ago: http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=43462

WHMCS 5.0.3 will already have the patch included so if you clear your account and re-install WHMCS you'll be fine. If you've been hacked but need to protect data your best bet is to restore from an old backup. I think HostGator take weekly backups.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

I did install the patch but I'm still being targeted, do hackers still target version 5.x of WHMCS? I also just added the hook you posted to block form submissions containing the exploit code so I'm waiting to see if it is effective.

I did install the patch but I'm still being targeted, do hackers still target version 5.x of WHMCS? I also just added the hook you posted to block form submissions containing the exploit code so I'm waiting to see if it is effective.

Hackers don't know whether or not you have installed the patch, so yes you will still get these exploit attempts. However with the patch installed, the exploit no longer works.

Thanks Jack,

Hello,

The hackers search Google specifically for websites using WHMCS. They will try and hack as many sites as they can and have no way of knowing whether you have the patch installed (as Striddy mentioned).

I realize that they don't know if I have the patch installed or not...

What I was asking is if they target WHMCS ver 5 as much (or is there no way of them knowing that)?

Technically there is ways they could specifically look for a version. For example they may search on Google for V5 specific text but I think they'll just try every WHMCS install they find.

Thanks Jack...

What I can't understand is that how are they doing it now? I thought I shut down the ticketing section to "only active customers" that are logged in. I saw that this last guy became a active customer but I thought that required a purchase being made. Is the account being created once they are passed to PayPal and they just don't complete PayPals order?

Thanks Jack...

What I can't understand is that how are they doing it now? I thought I shut down the ticketing section to "only active customers" that are logged in. I saw that this last guy became a active customer but I thought that required a purchase being made. Is the account being created once they are passed to PayPal and they just don't complete PayPals order?

No problem. If you want to disable registration without ordering go to:

setup > general settings > other > untick "Allow Client Registration".

That will probably stop a lot of hack attempts but some will still make a order first. If you'd like to completely stop the tickets refer to this thread:

http://forums.hostgator.com/script-whmcs-stop-hack-attempts-t160521.html

Jack