single sign on for WHMCS and CMS

karunnt

Hi,

Can I use a single sign on between WHMC and my CMS?

I want to create a private area (for tutorials etc) that i only acceible to customers. But then I would have to have two login's; one for WHMCS and my CMS.

Thanks.

is this 2 separate questions?

Why dont you just create a page in whmcs that is only visible after your clients login to their account, that would make it only available to your clients.

• 3 weeks later...
Why dont you just create a page in whmcs that is only visible after your clients login to their account, that would make it only available to your clients.

Any pointers on how to do this? I am grappling with the same dilemma myself. :?

Should be possible. You'd need to adapt your CMS to use the WHMCS login system.

Would it be possible the other way around? If my users first register on a private site (that runs on the CMS), is there a way to log them into WHMCS automatically?

Would it be possible the other way around? If my users first register on a private site (that runs on the CMS), is there a way to log them into WHMCS automatically?

I have many years experience with this and its a bad idea. You should just use whmcs's login system and build an app to work with it. I see absolutely no good reason to use a cms with whmcs.

• WHMCS CEO

You would need to use the API to create a client account for them in WHMCS and then have them re-authenticate when accesing WHMCS.

Matt

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the confirmation, SpookedOut. I thought single sing-on meant that once the user is logged into either system (CMS or WHMCS), they would be automatically logged in to the other when they went there. Or, have I misunderstood the concept of single sign-on? The whole idea behind this is to help my customers avoid the hassle of remembering two logins and having to login each time.

I have many years experience with this and its a bad idea. You should just use whmcs's login system and build an app to work with it. I see absolutely no good reason to use a cms with whmcs.

Macsr, can you tell me why is this such a bad idea? There are many advantages to using a CMS with whmcs. For example, I am trying to use drupal with whmcs because drupal is far superior to whmcs when it comes to building and presenting support articles, categories etc. I am planning to use whmcs only for the billing, support ticket and ordering part. All other content would be handled through the CMS.

Thanks for the confirmation, SpookedOut. I thought single sing-on meant that once the user is logged into either system (CMS or WHMCS), they would be automatically logged in to the other when they went there. Or, have I misunderstood the concept of single sign-on? The whole idea behind this is to help my customers avoid the hassle of remembering two logins and having to login each time.

Macsr, can you tell me why is this such a bad idea? There are many advantages to using a CMS with whmcs. For example, I am trying to use drupal with whmcs because drupal is far superior to whmcs when it comes to building and presenting support articles, categories etc. I am planning to use whmcs only for the billing, support ticket and ordering part. All other content would be handled through the CMS.

Nope, unless you make the cms uses WHMCS's sessions/cookies, then its not going to be possible. Also, why would you even need to share logins just for articles? Why go through that extra trouble? I of course would like to use the kb's/articles with my trouble ticket system, so another reason why to use whmcs for that. Ive built a lot of extra plugins for the kb to expand its abilities. It can be done and its a lot easier/better to do that try and make a dirty "bridge". Unless the developers of both scripts work together on an API, those "bridges" over history have turned into junk and are a huge PITA.

Also, all the CMS "integrations" that i have seen used iframes to integrate the content, thats laughable at best. Just my opinion.

It can be done and its a lot easier/better to do that try and make a dirty "bridge". Unless the developers of both scripts work together on an API, those "bridges" over history have turned into junk and are a huge PITA.

You're right. I am quite convinced now about not trying to make the "bridge"