Getting started to become a web hosting provider

Hi all,

I've recently started a small scale web hosting business (not even a month old yet) and it would be great to hear from all of you about your experience when it first started. I'm currently on a reseller plan as a start and will be moving on to something bigger like a dedicated server once the sales starts picking up.

How was it for your web hosting business when it first started off? Was the sales really slow? It is tough for me although I'm not in the business for very long, but I still feel that being a small company fighting with the other big boys in the industry, it is very difficult. This question may be subjective but how long did it take before sales got faster for you?

So how did you get your web hosting company noticed in the first place? What are my other alternatives to advertising since I would like to start small first and don't wish to splash out on paid advertisements?

Your feedback is very much appreciated!

I started hosting sites when I was 15/16... (18 now) I had a Personal plan with 1&1 (Awful company!) and I just had add on domains and sold it... Dont think I was aloud to do that, but it worked out very profitable. I then realised they were no good... moved to my friends dedicated server, (Which he lied about, it was only a VPS he had... he didnt pay his bill... and boom goes the dynamite) Had 14 days to shift over to my own VPS, with EUKHost... Excellent company! I then moved to a dedicated server around 6 months ago... It's going good, but I wish sales would pick up! Good luck, branding is the most important thing i think... Skin your WHMCS to your main site... otherwise you won't see much happening... Good luck! :)

I started hosting sites when I was 15/16... (18 now) I had a Personal plan with 1&1 (Awful company!) and I just had add on domains and sold it... Dont think I was aloud to do that, but it worked out very profitable. I then realised they were no good... moved to my friends dedicated server, (Which he lied about, it was only a VPS he had... he didnt pay his bill... and boom goes the dynamite) Had 14 days to shift over to my own VPS, with EUKHost... Excellent company! I then moved to a dedicated server around 6 months ago... It's going good, but I wish sales would pick up! Good luck, branding is the most important thing i think... Skin your WHMCS to your main site... otherwise you won't see much happening... Good luck! :)

Thanks bdigitalstudios! free pokies