Domain checker issues

yongkailoon

Hi,

I need some advises from all of you while waiting for my hosting provider to get back to me. My WHMCS can hardly check for domain availability since few days back. It always returns as unavailable although it is available and sometimes it returns with a message "There was an error in your request".

According to the WHMCS documentation, if such error occurs, it means that port 43 is blocked preventing it from doing a lookup. However, everything was perfectly fine when I first had it so I don't think so there's a firewall blocking it (not unless my provider just recently decided to block it). Also, could the IP of the server that I'm on be banned, what are the chances?

Weird thing is, once in a blue moon, the domain checker works perfectly but most of the time it just shows unavailable or there's an error.

I'm on my provider's reseller plan. Is there any way I can check if port 43 is blocked on my side? I'm waiting for my provider's feedback but they are taking quite long to get back to me. So any suggestions/recommendations is very much appreciated here. :-)

can hardly check for domain availability since few days back

sometimes it returns with a message "There was an error in your request".

everything was perfectly fine when I first had it so I don't think so there's a firewall blocking it

(not unless my provider just recently decided to block it)

Being blocked by the server, or blocked for abusing the whois servers are the obvious possibilities

Being blocked by the server, or blocked for abusing the whois servers are the obvious possibilities

Hi, my provider confirmed that port 43 is not blocked inbound and outbound.

If it is blocked for abusing WHOIS servers, will they release certain time to be able to check? What I observed which 99% happens is this, from afternoon until midnight, the problem definitely happens. About 1am, every works fine again until about 2-3pm in the afternoon. The cycle goes this way.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...