WHMCS Server Change

aptohosting

Question

Hi guys,

I have a dilemma that I am trying to work through.

1) I have WHMCS installed on a Server A (version 3.6), it houses about 105 shared clients, and it works flawlessly.

2) I just recently had a completely custom design made for it, and it's been converted to HTML and ready for integration.

3) I want to move WHMCS to a new server (Server B), want to get the new WHMCS version installed along with this new design.

My issue is that I can not change the name servers to the new server (since it would cause lots of down time), I need to install WHMCS on the new server to get things set up (and I only have the direct IP address to the new server and I would need a different license key to install WHMCS).

How would I go about installing WHMCS on the new server with only the IP address (no domains), getting the new design installed and integrated, then moving my WHMCS database to the new version on the new server?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this will be a serious move but it will be necessary.

Thanks

8 answers to this question

You are going to have to purchase a second license. It's not very much money for just a month while you get everything moved.

If both servers run cpanel / whm, you can setup new nameservers and do account transfers from one to the other. It works great and almost zero downtime. I moved over 600 accounts including my whmcs install from an old cpanel server to a new cpanel server in about 2 days. NO DOWNTIME!!!

Interesting scenario with a helpful solution. I'll remember this one so thanks. ;)

I have 3 WHM 11.24+ servers all with DNS Cluster. I just did express transfers on all accounts from one to the other. Zero downtime. There is other stuff that goes into it but it can be that simple.

Hey Guys,

I'd like to add that Express Transferring in cPanel is amazing.

I would like to know if anyone has experience in the transferring of accounts that have cron jobs (like WHMCS). I've just finished moving all my clients to a new network of servers, so now my last move is my main site. I'd like to be as quick as possible with the move to avoid downtime, but I can't remember all the cron jobs I have setup for WHMCS.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the available cron functions for WHMCS? and do you know if Express Transfer will create them on the new server?

Thanks!

Where is this express transfer option? I'm looking at a newly deployed server and I don't see any mention of express on the transfer on the copy an account page. Is it just the "Point Account on Source Server to New Server:" checkbox?

it's under the transfer multiple accounts

Express transfer edits the DNS zone file on the remote server to include the new server’s DNS information. This will help speed up domain propagation times and email delivery, while preventing dynamic content from being loaded on the remote server, so that no content is lost. It will also suspend the remote account.

Click Copy to finish.

You are going to have to purchase a second license. It's not very much money for just a month while you get everything moved.

If both servers run cpanel / whm, you can setup new nameservers and do account transfers from one to the other. It works great and almost zero downtime. I moved over 600 accounts including my whmcs install from an old cpanel server to a new cpanel server in about 2 days. NO DOWNTIME!!!

I did this differently but the same...

I just clustered my servers and went to the new server and imported the account from there.

Then i head into whmcs and reissue the license, log into my installation admin area and the license is updated with the new ipaddress as soon as i am sure all is well, i terminate the account on the old server but ensure i keep the dns record as its still in the same dns trust, (you can check the correct server is being used because the transfered account on the old one will be suspended.

Thats your domain and whmcs sorted.

Then back to the import tools for any other accounts you want to move over

The accounts on the old server get suspended.

After you have checked all is working you just need to list all suspended accounts and then terminate them,

Remember to keep the dns entries if you dont then you will break the account on the new server.

Although in this instance you want to be keeping whmcs isolated from clients websites. So a single account on the server for your website will ensure if they go down you dont. would be bad for support if they couldnt contact you eh :)