Joomla/WHMCS integration through custom template

benblee

Here is my template integrated into a Joomla site. I stayed away from just using a wrapper and I wanted to include all the extra Joomla goodies later on (I'll be adding to it in the future).

I don't have my site content up yet as I was going for the function and integration first, then I'll start working on the content and extras.

I also decided to use the Joomla contact us form instead...no particular reason, just had a few people that said they liked it better.

Beyond that, I hid some of the menu items until you login just to avoid what might seem cluttered to someone who is not an actual client.

I also use this site just as hosting for the websites I work on myself so I'm not looking for that flashy "get as many users as I can" look.

Let me know what you think!

Main site smartgravity.com

You'll see the Client Resources link for the whmcs stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mate I am very interested in how you achieved this so as to cut down my research time. I have not integrated it, WHMCS is separate.

Any ideas and direction would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Tony

PS. I like your site and it's simplicity, the integration is seamless.

Good on you for checking out the "View Source". That is what I was going to post back anyways.

I've found that this is a good patter for just about any CMS out there when you're trying to integrate it.

On your own site, make a page that has what you want on it with whatever system you're using, Drupal, Joomla, etc. Make sure there is an area in the body that you can recognize in the code when you view source.

Next, check copy any paste items from the view source into your header and footer in your WHMCS template. Check the view source on my site and look for comments as to where main site code or Joomla code begins and ends for some hints.

Also, a big frustrating thing that happens when the header and footer are two separate files AND when you're changing them like this is losing track of what tags are open in the header and where they need to be closed in the footer. If you're having alignment problems or width issues with any parts of the site, you could be missing a div, tr, td, or table tag somewhere.

A good way to check for missing tags is to use a site that validates CSS and HTML for you. They usually point out what's missing. Not all errors are important to you, but you may have a list of 10 things to look at instead of searching blindly through the code.

This has so many helpful tools that make life so much easier. I highly recommend this for a project like this.

After installed, there is a CSS drop down with an "Edit CSS" link that let's you make changes to the css pages and the browser window shows what those changes will do to you page. There is also the same thing for HTML under the "Miscellaneous" drop down.

Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox

• 8 months later...

Here is an updated reply to this thread.... I have also manipulated the WHMCS template to reflect the joomla template. It took about a days work to figure what to manipulate but I nearly have it seem-less. The only thing I have left to do is to make the corners round and make a joomla "top menu" to appear at the top of the whmcs template. At the time I have removed it from the joomla site. If anyone know how to do that please let me know.

Anyone need any help let me know

http://www.cincywebservices.com

you can click on customer portal, mid right side for the whmcs

• 3 months later...

Changed my mind on templates and starting over with content.

I plan on posting some info articles on how to integrate Joomla template styles into WHMCS soon.

It's not done yet, but most of it is there. It should all be HTML valid (or very close) and actually works in IE6, IE7, and IE8. This is something to note because WHMCS uses jQuery and I've got MooTools functions loading on the template.

http://smartgravity.com - Joomla

http://accounts.smartgravity.com - WHMCS

I liked doing things this way because I think I'll have some options to use other MooTools Joomla features like RocketTheme's RokBox inside WHMCS...not sure yet, still have to test it out.

I'll also be hiding many of the client portal links soon as most people don't need those. I'm not interested in hosting lots of people, just a nice way to host clients of mine that don't want to bother with several accounts...domain registration, hosting, website stuff, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When I get some time I'll try to post some good directions on how to do this. I don't mind sharing, it's just that it takes time to write up specific directions on what to do. The short story is, pull over only the Joomla files you need, use the view source of your Joomla site for the layout, then adjust some styling in the WHMCS template to match.

It takes some time to really mention what files and code is necessary though when you're being specific. Things like getting all the module styling and everything in there too are a little tedious.

Sorry for the delay.

@PingVPS,

Thanks for the compliment :). I did work on keeping things as minimal as possible to keep with core code.

Most people get something like this integrated with Joomla and use Joomla files and then don't think they have to upgrade the Joomla files with each version released. On this site I can make upgrades just as you make them through Joomla and I can also upgrade WHMCS just like you would with a basic WHMCS site.

• 2 weeks later...
Good on you for checking out the "View Source". That is what I was going to post back anyways.

I've found that this is a good patter for just about any CMS out there when you're trying to integrate it.

On your own site, make a page that has what you want on it with whatever system you're using, Drupal, Joomla, etc. Make sure there is an area in the body that you can recognize in the code when you view source.

Next, check copy any paste items from the view source into your header and footer in your WHMCS template. Check the view source on my site and look for comments as to where main site code or Joomla code begins and ends for some hints.

Also, a big frustrating thing that happens when the header and footer are two separate files AND when you're changing them like this is losing track of what tags are open in the header and where they need to be closed in the footer. If you're having alignment problems or width issues with any parts of the site, you could be missing a div, tr, td, or table tag somewhere.

A good way to check for missing tags is to use a site that validates CSS and HTML for you. They usually point out what's missing. Not all errors are important to you, but you may have a list of 10 things to look at instead of searching blindly through the code.

the index.php you modifie with your joomla code? because mine index.php of whmcs is encrypted..

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...