Online Backups

ihostgreen

Hi Chaps.

In the coming weeks we are launching our first reseller product.

No not reseller hosting as I thought that was the obvious way to go but we are going to be reselling out Online Backup service.

2 setups to this.

1. We brand the software (Web portal/Lite Software and Advance software) and you install on your servers and hey presto you have your self and online backup business which does neatly integrate with WHMCS

or

2. We brand the software to your company (no webportal but Lite and Advance software) and you backup to our servers...

Just trying to get a feel if any one in the WHMCS community would be interested as it does integrate with WHMCS for account creation and deletion etc... :)

Just a thought.

Firstpro

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fpBackup Server software support all major OS, runs as http or https.

User backup software features (Advance fpBackup software)

Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 / 2003 / 2007

Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 / 2000 / 2005

Lotus Domino / Lotus Notes 5.0 or above

Oracle 8i or above

MySQL 3.2.4 or above

Outlook / Outlook Express i.e. *.pst, *.dbx and *.wab

Other common files e.g. *.doc, *.xls

Also supports backing up of:

Windows System State (all platforms except Vista)

Windows NTFS access privileges

Linux access privileges and modes

Mac OS X metadata and resource forks

Uploaded via SSL to the server.

Automatic backup

After the initial setup of fpBackup client-side backup application, be it fpBackup Lite or fpBackup Advance, backup will be performed automatically every day without requiring human effort. Restore operation can be done in just a few clicks.

User friendly interface

The software interface of fpBackup Software is designed to allow users and administrators to handle backup/restore operations and complete administration tasks easily within a few clicks.

Centralized web management console

fpBackup allows system administrators to configure backup sets and bandwidth throttling, enable and disable add-on modules for individual users, set up users' quota, restore backed up files, manage banner advertisement, access data on system activities and backup errors in an intuitive web management console.

Auto-upgrade of client software

With the Auto Upgrade feature enabled, upgrade of client-side applications to new versions can be done automatically.

Plus you can have fpBackup Replication on a seprate server to replicate the data to make it more secure.

Prices not worked out yet, wanted to post to see if any one had a budgets as we are 50/50 as to go ahead depending on how much interest there is and what people are willing to pay etc.

Currently client would pay Firstprotocol per CAL so each user who has say for instance the LITE version would pay FP around the £3.00 per CAL for <50 licenses and the more you have the cheaper it gets per CAL.

Firstpro

1. Does it integrate with cPanel?

2. Is the backup schema by entire partition, disk, selected files or possibly cPanel accounts?

3. Is this continual backup protection or a scheduled backup?

4. What distros of linux are supported?

Can you give a quick description of how the client is installed on a linux server?

Thanks,

-Roger

The fpBackup Server software support all major OS, runs as http or https.

User backup software features (Advance fpBackup software)

Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 / 2003 / 2007

Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 / 2000 / 2005

Lotus Domino / Lotus Notes 5.0 or above

Oracle 8i or above

MySQL 3.2.4 or above

Outlook / Outlook Express i.e. *.pst, *.dbx and *.wab

Other common files e.g. *.doc, *.xls

Also supports backing up of:

Windows System State (all platforms except Vista)

Windows NTFS access privileges

Linux access privileges and modes

Mac OS X metadata and resource forks

Uploaded via SSL to the server.

Automatic backup

After the initial setup of fpBackup client-side backup application, be it fpBackup Lite or fpBackup Advance, backup will be performed automatically every day without requiring human effort. Restore operation can be done in just a few clicks.

User friendly interface

The software interface of fpBackup Software is designed to allow users and administrators to handle backup/restore operations and complete administration tasks easily within a few clicks.

Centralized web management console

fpBackup allows system administrators to configure backup sets and bandwidth throttling, enable and disable add-on modules for individual users, set up users' quota, restore backed up files, manage banner advertisement, access data on system activities and backup errors in an intuitive web management console.

Auto-upgrade of client software

With the Auto Upgrade feature enabled, upgrade of client-side applications to new versions can be done automatically.

Plus you can have fpBackup Replication on a seprate server to replicate the data to make it more secure.

Prices not worked out yet, wanted to post to see if any one had a budgets as we are 50/50 as to go ahead depending on how much interest there is and what people are willing to pay etc.

Currently client would pay Firstprotocol per CAL so each user who has say for instance the LITE version would pay FP around the £3.00 per CAL for <50 licenses and the more you have the cheaper it gets per CAL.

Firstpro

So basically your just reselling ahsay?

This software is for the likes of home users or business users who want to backup their data to an off site secure server. such as mozy offers.

You can backup folders, files, what ever you like as long as they available to you.

The server software gets installed on your own backup server you install the client software on what ever PC/Server you want to backup, on windows its basically a next next next install for the client software and away you go.

The advance software offers continious protection while the lite (used for home users, small businesses etc) only does scheduled backups.

The OBS (Online backup server where the data will be stored)

Support these OS:

• Windows 2000 / 2003

• Linux kernel 2.4 or above

• Solaris 2.x or above

• AIX

• HP-UX

• FreeBSD

• Mac OS X 10.2 or above

• All other operating systems that supports Java2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2 or above

The Advanced fpOBM (Firstprotocol online backup manager, installed onto the workstation/server that you want to backup)

Supports these OS:

Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista

• Linux kernel 2.4 or above

• NetWare 5.1 or above

• Solaris 2.x or above

• AIX

• HP-UX

• FreeBSD

• Mac OS X 10.3 or above

• All other operating systems that supports Java2 Runtime Environment 1.4.0 or above

The LITE software (Home users and SMB client)

Support these OS:

•Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista

•Mac OS X 10.3 or above

•With Java2 Runtime Environment 1.4.0 or above

For install of the server software on a linux box you will need to take a look at the PDF document on our website which will be under the resellers link within the next 2 days.

To register your interest or to get more details on possible pricing involved please email or PM me.

Yes we resell Ahsay, but we do all the branding needed, help with setup etc and at a competetive price to Ahsay.

As a number of other companies do, plus its integrated WHMCS which is why I wanted to get some feedback to see if any body would be interested in becoming a reseller without the big cost of signing up to Ahsay to get it...

I was just going to say that it sounded like StoreGrid by Vembu... be careful in the market, it's VERY cut throat, and why you think people SHOULD have backups, they treat them as secondary and not a necessary item. I had partnered with a company last year (edatashield.com) which launced backups for the home and business users, and while there was a lot of interest, there was limited users that actually went forward with it.

With the big companies out there such as mozy, carbonite evault and idrive (which I read somewhere may be closing as AOL is cutting back costs), it's hard to break into the small individual market at reasonable pricing.

Personally I use r1soft's CDP software at Hands-on to backup over 200 different servers. A heck of a solution from the system level.

I was just going to say that it sounded like StoreGrid by Vembu... be careful in the market, it's VERY cut throat, and why you think people SHOULD have backups, they treat them as secondary and not a necessary item. I had partnered with a company last year (edatashield.com) which launced backups for the home and business users, and while there was a lot of interest, there was limited users that actually went forward with it.

With the big companies out there such as mozy, carbonite evault and idrive (which I read somewhere may be closing as AOL is cutting back costs), it's hard to break into the small individual market at reasonable pricing.

Personally I use r1soft's CDP software at Hands-on to backup over 200 different servers. A heck of a solution from the system level.

Right, but r1soft isnt made to do remote backups for small offices with slow internet connections and/or no servers.

Yep - they're on the hardware only. You can define partitions, but not individual folders etc. I have it working at two local law offices however backing up each of their computers (workstations and servers) at their facility. They have a regular cable connection for internet and it works without any issues. Again, ENTIRE machine, not just a portion of the machine.

Yes our system (Ahsay) is just as good as some of the bigger backup systems out there.

And from a personal point of view we are targetting home and small business but also reselling to other providers as we can offer cheaper than Ahsay to say another small host like us, where as with Ahsay its a fairly decent chunk of money to get licenses etc and then on top of that if you want them to setup up for you your taking thousands of $.

We will do all the branding, even help with the setup support and issues we can fix. For a decent price a smaller webhost can afford.

The software is some of the best available and its features are immense.

:) If any one is interested our pricing will be available on request and we can do deals etc unlike other companies...

But Conor your right its cut throat, and very hard to make a difference in the market. But we are trying lol

Handson ... how true!

We offer an in-house developed backup solution. Out of all our small businesses, ded or hosted and colo clients, nearly none of them use it. They often cancel a month or two into it, because they feel it's not needed or too expensive...and then disaster strikes. Some just never learn.

The only ones really using our solution are larger enterprise customers, which make it worth our while. I suppose this has to do with the fact that they tend to be more tech savvy and usually have audits or require compliancy.

;) I think you're outsdie the norm ;) With the company I was involved with, they had to hold the hands of the user all the way from downloading the file to installing to setting up. It got to a point that they started to offer an installation service using the shared desktop in windows.

Many businesses are a little smarter than the home user (when it comes to the posibility of losing data and shutting down the business), yet we setup a backup for a guy (Mortgage Industry) that hadn't made a backup EVER in the 4 years that they were operating. Sure they had paper files on clients, but a LITTLE smarts here!!!

Maybe the tide is turning and people are learning about backups again. Hard drives seem to have become LESS stable in the recent years (and cheaper), but even coping files from one drive to the other is a hassle for many. They like automation. It's just a tough sell to sell to someone for "in case of emergency" many people never get to see the benefit of it.

But we all have smoke alarms in our houses and we hope that it NEVER goes off (but we keep fresh batteries in there too right? Right?) :)

It's a tough market, but then web hosting can be also! ;)

Drop a note in here, or to me if you would, when you go live, I'd like to check it out. People NEED to make backups, but few ever do! You'd think one or two crashes and they'd learn, but they never do ;)

Yes web hosting also that why am make starting software b/c I make more money on software/script :)

• 2 months later...

Since this post was started a new feature for our backups is 24/7 continious backup. So as soon as you save/update a file/create a file in the location of your backup set it is backedup instantly! :)

HTB, how far along are you with your's? What kind of features will there be in there?

:)