Support for PHP 7.1.x

PHP 7.1.x was released December 2016, and now Ioncube has released Encoder version 10.0.x and ioncube loaders 10.0.x which both support PHP 7.1.x

Question: Will WHMCS 7.3 support PHP 7.1.x? If not, how long do we need to wait for WHMCS adding support for PHP 7.1.x?

We have made some updates to the 7.3.0 RC.1 version to provide support for PHP 7.1

This is your chance to try it out with a dev license and let us know if you see any issues.

Have you used Ioncube Encoder version 10.0.x when encoding the files? If not they will not work on PHP 7.1.x

I am not able to test on PHP 7.1.x, because I can't upgrade my server to PHP 7.1.x until you release a version that is compatible with PHP 7.1.x

Hello,

Supporting a new version of php requires two main phases:

1) Ensuring that the code we ship is compatible with the language updates. As Andrew noted 7.3.0 includes changes required to make that happen.

2) Ensuring that we can build an encoded product that works with loaders required for that php version. We have not used Ioncube Encode version 10 when encoding version 7.3.0 and we don't plan on changing the encoder for this release.

With a code base as large as ours changing the encoder is not something we take lightly. In the past we have identified issues with the encoder and worked with ioncube to get them resolved. Changing the encoder requires more extensive testing and validation to ensure continuity for our customers. It also means we would lean towards a longer beta period and wider testing before a release. In the past we have timed encoder changes with major releases, so WHMCS 5.x used encoder version 7, WHMCS 6.x used version 8, and WHMCS 7.x has so far used version 9.

We are monitoring the situation and will continue to think look for the best interests of our customer base.

Thank you for your feedback.

Nate

2) Ensuring that we can build an encoded product that works with loaders required for that php version. We have not used Ioncube Encode version 10 when encoding version 7.3.0 and we don't plan on changing the encoder for this release.

So are you saying WHMCS 7.3.x won't support php 7.1.x ?

Sorry, I'm confused. Thanks in advance for explaining.

Brad,

We don't currently support php 7.1.x with any WHMCS release and I don't expect that to change in the 7.3.x series.

Nate

I feel like I/we have been misled in public and private. In private ticket it was implied that WHMCS was php 7.1 compatible but just the v10 ioncube loaders were the holdup.

In any case, you can't give us something you don't yet support, but I have to wonder why more work isn't going into keeping up with php versions. As a coder, this is something that should be second nature, and actually not that difficult.

So when PHP 7.2 stable drops on November 30 we'll be three versions behind the latest. Nice.

Yes. I am also very disapointed with them not working more on this. There is mininal code changes needed between PHP 7.0.x and 7.1.x - all they need to do is to give us a download encoded with ioncube 10, but they will not for a long time (until the next major version), it seems.

• WHMCS Developer

Hi All,

Providing new PHP version support in WHMCS is a continual goal for us and so we were pleased to see that Ioncube announced a new encoder. The new Ioncube Encoder v10, along with Loader v10, allows encoded files to work in PHP 7.1, the latest stable version available for server environments. Prior versions of the Encoder have afforded WHMCS the ability to provide cross-version compatibility, however, currently this is not viable with Encoder 10, but we're working on it.

In short, developers cannot produce a single set of encoded files that work within both PHP 7.0 and PHP 7.1 server environments. If developers wish to provide support for PHP 7.1 and PHP 7.0, they must produce and publish two different sets of encoded files. Any attempt to alter the PHP environment requires both a server PHP and a software deployment change in tandem. This complicates the publication and distribution processes. But more so, affects our ability to provide a small, streamlined, and low-risk experience.

We have already started internal testing, utilizing Encoder 10 and Loader 10 with a PHP 7.1 environment. We are also actively pursuing two other courses of action. First, we have reached out to Ioncube to understand all facets of Encoder v10 and potentials for cross-version compatibility. Second, we are researching the technical options available for future product updates that will allow you to update your server PHP version with minimal impact to visitors & clients.

We will post further updates as we have them.

Regards,

-David

In short, developers cannot produce a single set of encoded files that work within both PHP 7.0 and PHP 7.1 server environments. If developers wish to provide support for PHP 7.1 and PHP 7.0, they must produce and publish two different sets of encoded files.

This is news to me.. I'll need to do some more research first, but off the top of my head that sounds like an Ioncube bug/serious feature mistake.

Still, I am not convinced this is the case as your post is the first I have seen along these lines.

Edit: I recall reading that a separate set of encoded files would be needed if you were distributing versions for php 5.x and php 7.x, but as I understood it, all php 7.x version should be supported by the same set of encoder v10 produced files.

Edited by xyzulu

• WHMCS Developer

Hi xyzulu,

Thanks for the input/feedback. I understand your perspective and can imagine how it might be shared by others in this thread. Given that, I'd like to touch on the points you raise.

off the top of my head that sounds like an Ioncube bug/serious feature mistake.

Maybe...However, Ioncube provides products that serve the PHP development community, it's in their interest to create the most viable solutions for their clients. I see no reason to either doubt their evaluation/deliverable related to the technical challenges when working with PHP internal engine changes, or malign their efforts. Regardless, it's a challenge that we must overcome and I'm confident we can address it.

Still, I am not convinced this is the case as your post is the first I have seen along these lines.

Our team has performed several rounds of testing to confirm these results (as well as the aforementioned communications with Ioncube).

Edit: I recall reading that a separate set of encoded files would be needed if you were distributing versions for php 5.x and php 7.x, but as I understood it, all php 7.x version should be supported by the same set of encoder v10 produced files.

The following screenshot is directly from the README.txt within the Encoder v10 download. Note the 71_10.0 binary is capable of encode any PHP syntax, however the consumer/server is require to have PHP 7.1, not just any 7.x. What is implied, and thus required time for exhaustive testing & confirmation, is that the 56_10.0 binary produces encodings with the same support as the 56_9.0 binary; that the current documentation is actually meant to say "PHP 5.6 or PHP 7.0", not "PHP 5.6 or newer". It is my pure speculation that this is simply a hold-over from the Encoder v9 documentation (which reads the same, verbatim) that was authored & published before PHP 7.1 was stable. So, at least at that time, the behavior and intent were aligned.

encoder_v10_readme.png

We are working hard to find a resolution that is suitable for production environments and incurs the least amount of effort for our clients. We will post further updates as we have them.

Regards,

-David

• WHMCS ChrisD locked this topic
  • Matt unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...

I'm now seeing the following warning in WHMCS admin panel ( /systemhealthandupdates.php ):

PHP Version
Your PHP version 7.0.25 is supported by WHMCS.

The PHP 7.0 branch no longer receives regular bug fixes and will only receive critical security updates until it reaches its end of life. We recommend updating to a supported PHP version. Please see http://php.net/supported-versions.php for more information.

What is the supported php version WHMCS suggests we use?

39 minutes ago, xyzulu said:

I'm now seeing the following warning in WHMCS admin panel ( /systemhealthandupdates.php ):

What is the supported php version WHMCS suggests we use?

That's funny, mine still says this:

Your PHP version 7.0.24 is supported by WHMCS.
Your PHP version is actively supported by PHP for both bug fix and security releases.

Which of course is not strictly accurate as since PHP 7.2 stable was released right on time a couple of days ago, PHP 7.0 is now in a "critical fix only" mode and is no longer in active support.  Hope WHMCS are enjoying their nap.

Added:  Oh, I see you're the other side of the dateline from me.  So I guess my admin panel, together with everyone else's, will throw a similar warning tomorrow when it gets to be December 3 (2 year anniversary of PHP 7.0 release) over here.  Perhaps a warning about unsupported PHP versions being displayed to 100% of users will encourage the release of at least PHP .7.1 support in WHMCS.

Edited by malfunction
Additional information

I’m baffled that as of today whmcs are not supporting an actively supported version of php now. Instead they REQUIRE us to use a version that the php group are no longer actively  supporting. No announcement about their plans has been made. It’s not like this has suddenly snuck up on them either.

I have posted about this a few times recently and even opened a ticket. Any other suggestions?

Equally as baffled at the lack of forward planning at WHMCS

Warnings
PHP Version

Your PHP version 7.0.25 is supported by WHMCS. 

The PHP 7.0 branch no longer receives regular bug fixes and will only receive critical security updates until it reaches its end of life. We recommend updating to a supported PHP version. Please see http://php.net/supported-versions.php for more information.

• WHMCS Developer

Hi All,

As a status update, we have not received any further actionable information from the IonCube team that would afford your systems the ability to run a single encoding in both the PHP 7.0 and the PHP 7.1 environment.  In short, this means any immediate use of encodings that function in a PHP 7.1 environment will result in downtime for your production site while you redeploy your application software.  There is no simple solution we can publish that provides the ease and flexibility that we have delivered throughout the WHMCS v7 series with automatic updates.

We are currently developing and evaluating a number of solutions. Each provides a different balance of A) access to multiple encodings and access to future updates for those encodings, B) compatibility for the underlying environment, and C) behavior of the application when the environment is changed (without changing to the requisite encodings).

Please keep in mind that any solution from WHMCS will only be able to accommodate WHMCS distributed software and any 3rd-party code will need to be updated on your system using new encodings by the original author: again, this is due to the lack of simultaneous support for PHP 7.0 and PHP 7.1 environments when using the current IonCube encoder.

Our current target is to provide a viable, balanced, and sustainable solution to customers in the first quarter of 2018.

Regards,
-David

• 2 weeks later...