Free Domain Renewal

Bertie

Hi,

I'm just trying to get my head around this. Clients have a hosting package which includes a 1 year domain renewal. The client has "paid" for that package to be renewed.

Where do you set it up so the domain name is then automatically renewed with let's say Nominet for this choice of domain? Or is that not possible.

I can see you can get it to create a "To-Do" item. We have the Nominet and OpenSRS modules setup as well - Just need to know how to get the domain renewed when it comes free as part of a hosting package once that is paid for automatically if possible?

Edited by Bertie

• WHMCS Developer

In the product configuration, you can define the renewal of the domain to be free for the domain.

As long as the domain and hosting package are on the same invoice for renewal, WHMCS will attempt to send the renewal for the domain at the time that invoice is paid.

Check the Activity Log as this should give you some indication of when the renewal for the domain was attempted and why it failed (if it did).

The other thing that could happen is that your domain isn't assigned to a registrar which is why can get an Activity Log item.

Finally, there is an option in Setup -> General Settings -> Domains called "Auto Renew on Payment". If this is unchecked, you will manually have to renew the domains when the invoices are paid.

In the product configuration, you can define the renewal of the domain to be free for the domain.

As long as the domain and hosting package are on the same invoice for renewal, WHMCS will attempt to send the renewal for the domain at the time that invoice is paid.

Check the Activity Log as this should give you some indication of when the renewal for the domain was attempted and why it failed (if it did).

The other thing that could happen is that your domain isn't assigned to a registrar which is why can get an Activity Log item.

Finally, there is an option in Setup -> General Settings -> Domains called "Auto Renew on Payment". If this is unchecked, you will manually have to renew the domains when the invoices are paid.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Looking at the log it says:

Required Product Module '' Missing

Which module would I set up for this?

The domain and hosting package are on the same invoice and the domain has been set to "Nominet" as the registrar.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Provisioning_Issues#Required_Product_Module_.27.27_Missing

This error message indicates that a module command was performed for a product to which no module is assigned. Please navigate to Setup > Products/Services > Products/Services > Edit > Module Settings tab and ensure the appropriate module is selected.

If the module selection has intentionally been left at None, then you may wish to consider using the Auto Release module instead. With the Auto Release module, WHMCS can open a support ticket or create a to-do list entry when a module command is performed to notify you that manual action is required.

from your description, it sounds as though you may have selected "Hosting Account" in the dropdown of the product setup, but then not selected the module to use to create/manage the hosting account (e.g cPanel). :?:

https://docs.whmcs.com/Provisioning_Issues#Required_Product_Module_.27.27_Missing

from your description, it sounds as though you may have selected "Hosting Account" in the dropdown of the product setup, but then not selected the module to use to create/manage the hosting account (e.g cPanel). :?:

Oh I see. So the module would need to be selected to say (cpanel) and then once that has been done. It would then be able to renew the domain name via Nominet automatically when payment has been taken/marked as paid?

Edit: Just set it up to the cpanel module for example. Marked the invoice as paid - Still no renewal being done? There doesn't seem to be anything in the activity log either. Do the product due date need to match the domain names expiry date or something?

Edited by Bertie

Bertie,

I think you may be getting confused between domains and hosting accounts.

Do you have a domain entry, on the Domain tab of a Client, for the domain you wish to renew? Is this set to Nominet, set to Active with the appropriate next due and expiry dates?

Hi Andrew,

There is a domain set on the domains tab with the registrar set to Nominet. The reg date, expiry date all set correctly. I have the "due date" set as the same as the domains expiry date.

Before I open a ticket regarding this. Does it matter if the hosting package expiry/due dates are different to the domain name? I'm basically using a test account and the domain name is registered etc etc. But the domain name doesn't expire until 2018. But I'm making the hosting packages due date for this year.

Would that have any affect on it at all?

Yes, it will have an impact the Next Due Date needs to be the same for the package as the domain

As long as the payment method for the domain and the hosting account is the same, and the next due date is the same, when the time for the invoice to generate comes up (based on the settings in your Automation settings), WHMCS will invoice for the hosting and the domain on the same invoice. When this invoice is paid, WHMCS will (if your settings allow in General Settings > Domains) automatically renew your clients domain for a further period. The hosting account and domains next due date will automatically change to the next period.

Just been testing it again - Left it and it did actually renew the domain names in the end. As the crons run from 9am so thats probably what it was waiting for:

Invoice Marked Paid - 8:30

Domain Renewed: 09:00

Also, is there a way to get the log time set to the current timezone (BST) rather than GMT?

Edited by Bertie