Failed updates not cleaning up?

Using WHMCS v7.2.3. I have had several updates fail. There is now over 400mb of files sitting under the "vendor/composer" folder. There are 6 folders with with 8 character hex names. I am guessing these are the files that have been left behind by the failed updates. Can I safely delete these files using the file manager or is there a way to cleanup via WHMCS that I should use.

Many Thanks!

Under Utilities->Update WHMCS->Configure Update Settings I have a folder that is set outside the public root - "/home/whmcsuser/whmcs_tmp". There are "certs" and "composer" folders under this tmp folder. The permissions are 755 for all these folders. Do the permissions need to be different?

The 6 folders under the vendor->composer folder all have the WHMCS files and folder structure.

Under Utilities->Update WHMCS->Configure Update Settings I have a folder that is set outside the public root - "/home/whmcsuser/whmcs_tmp". There are "certs" and "composer" folders under this tmp folder. The permissions are 755 for all these folders. Do the permissions need to be different?

755 is correct - i've got certs & composer folders in my temp folder too.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Automatic_Updater#Setting_a_Temporary_Update_Path

The 6 folders under the vendor->composer folder all have the WHMCS files and folder structure.

it might be worth opening a ticket with support about that - it's not something i'm seeing in my v7.2.3 (which is the only dev I have that uses the auto updater)... i've had failures, but i've not seen it do with you say it's doing with your installation.

until you get an authoritative answer from Support, then i'd leave those files where they are for now.

Here is the low-down from WHMCS support.

The Temporary Path is used to store and extract the retrieved ZIP file and the files are temporarily moved into the /vendor/composer folder while applying the database portion, and suggests a failure occurred during it that the updater could not recover from (generally a server error). If at all possible, I'd recommend deleting the temporarily folders inside /vendor/composer folder.

I have deleted the folders and my host has increased my I/O limits so it shouldn't happen again. All is good with life the universe and everything! :)