pipe email for support all works as expected, but client gets a weird bounce email back

Hi

So I have WHMCS installed under my domain which is on a VPS server running Cloudlinux. This supports multiPHP so I can have different domains running various PHP versions.

For this domain and WHMCS I have PHP 7.0 and ionCube Loader 5.6 (which works for PHP 7.0).

Because of the way Cloudlinux is configured for multiPHP I had some fun and games initially setting up WHMCS and getting cron configured, until I realised that it was by default pointing to the default PHP location, and not PHP 7.0 with ionCube Loader built into it. Changing the path to explicitly use the correct PHP build fixed it.

That served me well setting up the forwarders to pipe emails to the support area. Once I set them up also pointing to the right PHP build everything worked fine. An example of the forwarder pipe is:

/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/php -q /home/yourscope/whmcsdata/crons/pipe.php

After set up, anyone raising an email to a support email address gets a notification of their ticket being opened. I as the admin get an email notification a ticket has been raised, and the ticket is nicely there in the support area of WHMCS. Happy days. The trouble is, the customer sending that original email, as well as getting the correct notifications, also gets this weird bounced email that says:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

pipe to |/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/php -q /home/yourscope/whmcsdata/crons/pipe.php
   generated by [email]info@yourscope.co.uk[/email]

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/php -q /home/yourscope/whmcsdata/crons/pipe.php
      generated by [email]info@yourscope.co.uk[/email] ------

Failed loading /usr/local/IonCube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.6.so:  /usr/local/IonCube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.6.so: undefined symbol: zval_update_constant_inline_change

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;|/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/php -q /home/yourscope/whmcsdata/crons/pipe.php

Now, I've looked everywhere for hours (including WHMCS docs) and did find a number of similar issues that have solutions around pipe.php permissions, or redirecting its output to NULL and a bunch of other things. None of these have worked nor reference loading ionCube being part of the problem, or the fact I have multiPHP environment.

Given all is actually good, I simply wanna stop that bounce and the path of the ionCube loader is correct. Anyone have any ideas please as to why it's complaining, and what I can do to either fix it or suppress it?

Many thanks.

Ok I fixed this.

In case anyone else has a similar problem...

It is all to do with the local.ini file if you use MultiPHP. When I looked at the one for PHP7, the local.ini file was pointing to the wrong ionCube loader for PHP 7.0. Hence it spitting out a PHP error.

Changing the local.ini file by commenting out the ref to the wrong ionCube loader (via the "MultiPHP INI Editor" sidebar option in WHM for PHP 7.0) solved this:

;zend_extension="/usr/local/IonCube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.6.so"

MultiPHP had a one line ini for the correct loader, but I think the order in which these piecemeal ini files are loaded / read meant that the 5.6 loader line was the last one read, overriding the correct loader line.

Anyway - all is at one in the world once more.