7.2.3 Auto Update Error

A fatal error occurred while fetching the update.

Please check to make sure your memory limits and execution time are set to the recommended values.

Have tried the update 6 times and get this error. The temporary updates folder is not in the html directory and it is set to CHMOD 0755. Also tried with 0777 and get this error every time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:4 POST https://******.com/******/admin/update.php net::ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR

send @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:4

ajax @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:4

pt.(anonymous function) @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:4

(anonymous) @ update.php?nocache=3cPQkgYppL3eeFWO:120

n.complete @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:3

u @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:2

fireWith @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:2

l @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:1

pt.fx.tick @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:3

setInterval (async)

pt.fx.start @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:3

pt.fx.timer @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:3

B @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:1

r @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:3

dequeue @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:2

(anonymous) @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:2

each @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:1

each @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:1

queue @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:2

animate @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:3

pt.fn.(anonymous function) @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:3

(anonymous) @ update.php?nocache=3cPQkgYppL3eeFWO:107

dispatch @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:3

g.handle @ scripts.min.js?v=3c55e4:2

edited out domain for post.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same error - "A fatal error occurred while fetching the update. Please check to make sure your memory limits and execution time are set to the recommended values.". I doubled all the recommended values but it still wouldn't update. I logged a ticket with my hosting provider yesterday (I have a reseller license) and they've come back with the following. Can you please advise if there is a fix, or if I should go ahead and do a manual (full) update? It doesn't look like there is a part-release available yet?
Cheers,
Nicky

Hi Nicky,

I've been looking into this but can't quite work out why the WHMCS auto-update feature isn't working. It may be worthwhile posting on the WHMCS forum as their reps are frequently on there.

https://whmcs.community/

I have uploaded the full 7.3 WHMCS version to "/home/websolut/whmcsdata/whmcs_v730_full.zip" should you like to try a manual update.

It appears that the server has sufficient network access to their update servers:

curl -I https://s3.amazonaws.com/releases.whmcs.com/packages.json
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

curl -I https://pki.whmcs.com/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

..and all of your folders/filers appear to have correct permissions.

Perhaps this manual update will fix the auto-update feature, hopefully!

Regards,

Chris O'Neill
VentraIP Australia Technical Support

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @Nicky

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the auto updater. You can indeed apply the update manually using the full release version (because this is a feature release there isn't an incremental version available), but I'd like to assist you in resolving the problem.

Could you please open your browser's network analyser tool, run the auto-updater process, and then share the response data from the POST request made to the update.php file (see attached).

2017-10-08_1201_001.png

I disabled Cloudflare and that just caused a whole bunch of other problems including my main website no longer working. I've got a ticket running with my host too and now they're suggesting changing CNAME records and all this other stuff. I just wanted to update the freaking software! So far everything I've tried still won't let the update run, it continues to time out. In the process I've wasted several hours across 4 days and messed up things that were working fine before, just to try to auto-update one piece of software which still won't update. And now Cloudflare is back on and I have a HTTP500 error and can't see WHMCS at all, even though nothing else was changed! If I ever get it back working again, I'll just try a manual update. I really don't think it should be this difficult.

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

I disabled Cloudflare and that just caused a whole bunch of other problems including my main website no longer working. I've got a ticket running with my host too and now they're suggesting changing CNAME records and all this other stuff. I just wanted to update the freaking software! So far everything I've tried still won't let the update run, it continues to time out. In the process I've wasted several hours across 4 days and messed up things that were working fine before, just to try to auto-update one piece of software which still won't update. And now Cloudflare is back on and I have a HTTP500 error and can't see WHMCS at all, even though nothing else was changed! If I ever get it back working again, I'll just try a manual update. I really don't think it should be this difficult.

Just to follow up, the 500 error was because the update started and did enough before it timed out, to mess everything up. I ended up having to do the manual update anyway! But it's all working now. Summing up - auto-update doesn't seem to work with Cloudflare. That's about 7 hours of my life I'll never get back. Cheers :/

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi Nicky,

I'm sorry to hear the auto-update process wasn't smooth for you, but you were able to complete the process eventually.

It would be interesting to see what entry was made in the server error logs when the 500 error occurred though.