Best way to work with a domain registrar with no

Dipps

Hi all. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I have read a lot but still not getting it.

I'm new to WHMCS - have a couple of hundred domains I'd like to bill through it. They're with a registrar that doesn't have a module for WHMCS.

So I think I might as well invoice renewals on custom invoices, not having WHMCS treat them as domains at all. I have to do renewals, changes etc on the registrar's website anyway. Can't see any reason for WHMCS to duplicate the renewal reminders that the registrar sends.

Or is there an advantage to using the Email Notifications registrar module?

Thanks... Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm new to WHMCS - have a couple of hundred domains I'd like to bill through it. They're with a registrar that doesn't have a module for WHMCS.

you can add them to WHMCS manually...

https://docs.whmcs.com/Importing_Data#Manual_Domain_Only_Entry

So I think I might as well invoice renewals on custom invoices, not having WHMCS treat them as domains at all. I have to do renewals, changes etc on the registrar's website anyway. Can't see any reason for WHMCS to duplicate the renewal reminders that the registrar sends.

Or is there an advantage to using the Email Notifications registrar module?

why have a horse & cart, but drag the cart yourself - get the horse to do the work!

if you add the domains to WHMCS, enable the cron automation and let WHMCS generate/send the invoices for you at the appropriate times before expiry, then once payment is received mark the invoice as paid and WHMCS will send them a payment confirmation invoice/email and change the due date... then next time it's due for renewal, the whole process beings again.

the advantage is once you've added the domains, WHMCS can handle the process... your way of regularly creating custom invoices would surely lead to you doing more work and I would hope you have better things to do with your time than create invoices! :idea:

Hi Pete, you can add them to WHMCS manually...

https://docs.whmcs.com/Importing_Data#Manual_Domain_Only_Entry

Thanks, I saw that. Doesn't that procedure bill them for the registration/renewal? So I guess I would add them as they come up for renewal?

if you add the domains to WHMCS, enable the cron automation and let WHMCS generate/send the invoices for you at the appropriate times before expiry.. then next time it's due for renewal, the whole process beings again.

Mm, okay. It's different to the process I'm used to. But I'm all in favour of the computer doing more work.

Thanks Brian. You've helped me

Thanks, I saw that. Doesn't that procedure bill them for the registration/renewal?

it can do if you want it to, but it's optional - look at step 8 to avoid sending the client an order/invoice when you add the domain...

8. Ensure both tick boxes for sending an order confirmation and generating an invoice are unchecked so the user is not emailed about the order you are adding

and also remember that step 11 is important too... once those dates are correct, WHMCS will take care of the billing (assuming the cron is running).

11. Now as the final step, you must go to the domain's information page to enter the correct next due and expiry dates aswell as selecting the registrar the domain is registered with if using one of the built in registrars. To do this, from the order screen, click on the link in the Item column of the items ordered - this will take you straight to the details screen.

So I guess I would add them as they come up for renewal?

add them at any time.. in fact, boil the kettle, make yourself a cuppa and do them all in one go - then it's out of the way! :idea:

.. step 8 to avoid sending the client an order/invoice when you add the domain...

I saw that. Next dumb question.. The domain is now listed for the client, with the right dates etc set.

Next dumb question.. in Manage Orders, the order is still listed, status Active, no invoice due.

Do I have to "accept" the order? Or does it just stay there?

.. add [the domains] at any time.. in fact, boil the kettle, make yourself a cuppa and do them all in one go

I like your cheery tone! But I'm going to need more than one cuppa to add a couple of hundred domains this way.

I am telling myself how great it will be afterwards :-)

Do I have to "accept" the order? Or does it just stay there?

if it's already active, then no - you'd only need to accept it if it was pending... but that shouldn't happen if you follow step 9 about setting the status to active.

I like your cheery tone! But I'm going to need more than one cuppa to add a couple of hundred domains this way.

I am telling myself how great it will be afterwards :-)

the tone was based on prior experience of having to do exactly the same thing myself many years ago... a number of times! (though I touch type so that makes things slightly easier for me I guess - I can recall it only took me a couple of hours to do the 250+ domains that I couldn't import from elsewhere).

if you haven't already, you may be able to reduce that list partially if you can import the primary hosted domains via the WHM/cPanel import feature...

I don't know how you currently have your list of domains to import (I worked from an Excel spreadsheet), but you always have the option of sorting it by client - that way, you can add all of a clients domains at the same time in one order... unless you're unfortunate to have 200 clients with 1 domain each! :)

alternatively, if you don't have the time to do them in one go, then sort by expiry date and add a month at a time... and eventually you'll get there. :idea: