Question about Paypal IPN

I'm trying to set up Paypal as my payment gateway and watching the video tutorial on how to do it. On my Payment Gateway page however, there is no URL like in the video. It just says:

(Please ensure Instant Payment Notification (IPN) is enabled under Selling Preferences within your PayPal account leaving the Notification URL empty. For new PayPal Accounts this is enabled by default.)

I did just create my Paypal Business account, but wanted to make sure the setting was enabled. So I went there and found that it was disabled. When I click on the Enable option, I get the error message informing me that I must enter a Notification URL. What should I do? Is there a way to get the URL? Please advise, thank you.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

WHMCS Paypal gateway page says leave it empty. But I'm unable to save the settings if leave it empty.

(Please ensure Instant Payment Notification (IPN) is enabled under Selling Preferences within your PayPal account leaving the Notification URL empty. For new PayPal Accounts this is enabled by default.)

https://docs.whmcs.com/PayPal#Instant_Payment_Notification_.28IPN.29

Ask to enter client area link.

Which one is right?

• 1 month later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @Sri,

PayPal changed the UI to make the field mandatory. We've updated the documentation already and will get the instructions in the product updated to match.

You can enter the URL of your WHMCS homepage into this field so it can be saved.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Our implementation means that you can use multiple WHMCS installations with a single PayPal account.

The IPN URL is overridden by the PayPal payment button code, so will always be the appropriate URL for the WHMCS installation making the payment.