Domain name questions

I'm new here and having a few problems.

At the moment, I'm operating everything in 'test mode' while I get my head around things, but there are one or two issues I'm really stuck with.

Firstly, if someone registers a domain (just a domain, no hosting), everything seems to work. I'm using OpenSRS and the domain gets created with them. But after payment has been received, the domain remains 'pending'. Why? It appears I have to manually change the order status to 'active'. Surely there must be a way of making a paid-for successful order 'active'?

Then, at some later date, the customer that previously registered just a domain decides they want to host a website using that domain. But I can't see how they can do this. There's options to purchase hosting and at the same time either register a new domain or transfer in an existing domain, but no option to use a domain that's already on the system. How do they do this?

My plan is to use Plesk to manage the hosting side of things. I'm starting to wonder if using WHMCS is the wrong option for handling the business side and wonder if I should move everything to Parallels Business Manager instead. Probably the only thing stopping me is that I wanted to stay using SimpleDNS.

It does seem that, from reading the forums, the current version is very buggy. Would some of my issues disappear if I drop back to an earlier version?