Backup/Restore CC data...

kpedana

Ok, so I've been doing hourly backups (mysqldump) on our DB for... a while. Sadly, I think they are all useless to use though. Our charset is UTF-8, our DB collation is utf8mb4_general_ci, most of the tables collation are utf8_unicode_ci (actually, all of them are), and most of the tblclients columns are utf8_unicode_ci, some are just blank collation which I think is fine?

So, I decided to take one of our backups, and take a look in it. I noticed each of the 4 credit card columns have what looks like your typical encoding issue (funky charactors), but I didn't think anything of it. However, I tried importing a row from tblclients anddddd... fail. After a few backups giving us the issue, I decide let me try WHMCS actual "database backup" that you can generate on the fly, from Utilities. That's when I started getting nervous. Even their sql has funky charactors, and using one of their INSERT statements for tblclients results in broken credit card details as well...

So at this point, I'm unsure if there's an encoding issue something (most likely) or what exactly is going on.

Update: I have set every possible option for chartype in my.cnf to utf-8, verified PHP is utf-8 and re-updated a client with a credit card. It offers me to enter the hash and view the full card, so it's definitely working in the DB. If I make another WHMCS backup (under Utilities), and delete that clients row, and insert it using the statement in the WHMCS backup... card details break again. configuration.php (and the cc_encryption_hash) has never changed on this installation since it was originally installed.

Edited by kpedana