Domain Pricing & Quantity not working

DeWebDude

Hello,

Something I found broken, but may be the design of the code.

Lets say I price .com for $10 for register, transfer, renewal and put that price in 1-5 years.

Client logs in to renew their domain and decides to pick 2 years and when the user checks out it's charging them $10 instead of $20.

Then I went into the pricing and edited the row that says 2 years and put $20 in each column.

Then went back as client and selected two years and it charges the $20.

What I'm seeing is this doesn't care about quantity and doing math, it's using the TOTAL value to pay for the combined years, but thats so much more difficult to manage then just putting a price, and letting it calculate out.

This is also not manageable from bulk pricing updated add-on module given this method.

Am I seeing something wrong here?

What I'm seeing is this doesn't care about quantity and doing math, it's using the TOTAL value to pay for the combined years, but that's so much more difficult to manage then just putting a price, and letting it calculate out.

This is also not manageable from bulk pricing updated add-on module given this method.

Am I seeing something wrong here?

no - this is exactly how WHMCS works. :)

Thats what I was afraid someone would say :(

For me doesn't sound logical, but at least we know now and can work within it's format.

it's one of those situations that is both logical and illogical - but you'll get used to that with WHMCS. :twisted:

on the one hand, it makes perfect sense (if only from a time saving point of view) to enter the price for one year and then have WHMCS multiply it for the other periods.

on the other, to encourage multiple-year registrations, you might want to discount longer registration periods.

if you have TLDs that are priced the same, you can use the Duplicate TLD button in Domain Pricing to save time when entering prices.

LOL, I'll vote for illogical.

From a user perspective they don't see the savings, they see a big number, so it should have been done to simplify the users perspective.

Coding wise just a little more work on the entry and thats it.

Just a very logical persons perspective :)

I would use the quote from this very old TV show "Does Not Compute" ->

LOL, I'll vote for illogical.

I thought you might! :)

From a user perspective they don't see the savings, they see a big number, so it should have been done to simplify the users perspective.

then you adjust the layout to make the discount more enticing... :)

uN4a5zX.png

Coding wise just a little more work on the entry and that's it.

i've had 4 years of thinking similar thoughts... "but if they just make this minor change, it'll make the product so much better!"... you try and get them to do things like that, and they'll ask you to submit a feature request... and with a good wind behind it, it may be added in 2-4 years time (and that time frame is no exaggeration!).

the sad truth is, unless they're in a beta period and more responsive than usual, if you want to make visual changes/new features, it would almost certainly be quicker to do it yourself (or use a developer if you can't) - unfortunately, if it's a core function that's bugged, then you're in the hands of waiting for WHMCS to fix it (or even acknowledge it is a bug).

Just a very logical persons perspective :)

which is always a good thing to hear.

I remember when I first started using WHMCS, there were LOTS of things that seemingly worked in an illogical way... but i've answered so many questions about it over the years, you just start to think that how the software works is "normal"... the minute you take a step back and try to look at it with an open mind, there really are still lots of things that are done in a very silly way... though if I start to list them, i'll be here all day.

btw - just to prove a point, someone posted the code for the feature you want four years ago...

https://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?67527-Cant-find-admin-quot-Open-Pricing-quot-template

it will have worked with v5, but I doubt it would work in v7 without re-coding.

I would use the quote from this very old TV show "Does Not Compute" ->

aah a webcam on the development team receiving a feature request. :-P