Product codes in invoices

OlegsUW

Question

I read documentation and general things about WHMCS but I am not able to find where I can set specific codes for products. I mean codes what usually go to invoices. Mostly its for bookkeepers. Is there any way how I can define them in the system or additional development/module required?

Thank you

3 answers to this question

I read documentation and general things about WHMCS but I am not able to find where I can set specific codes for products. I mean codes what usually go to invoices. Mostly its for bookkeepers. Is there any way how I can define them in the system or additional development/module required?

off the top of my head, I can only think of two ways to do this without the need for an additional module.

1. either add your product code to the product name, e.g "Gold Hosting (Code: 12345)" and it will be shown on the invoice (and throughout the cart).

2. use a Product Custom Field to pass additional information when ordering...

Products you create can also have custom fields added to them which are then shown to the user during the order process. This allows you to collect further information specific to an individual product. These are set when configuring a product in Setup > Products/Services > Products/Services > Edit > Custom Fields tab . Some modules require specific fields are setup and will be explained in the documentation for that module.

so you'll have to tick the boxes to add it to the order form/invoice and configure it similar to...

VhyEGGJ.png

make it a dropdown, add the product code for this specific product to the "Select Options" field - during the order process, the user will see the dropdown... I suppose potentially you could edit the template to hide it/make it a hidden field, but the value will have to be passed by the cart process for it to be passed to the invoice.

vW6lkdR.png

Thank you for such a detailed answer. First option looks fine for second one I need to have the system installed to look closer. But the idea is clear to me.

While I reading your answer I realise that domain is not a product entity. What can be possible approaches for domains?

I am also discussing it with our team if we really need this products code but we have them in our self written system

Thank you in advance

Thank you for such a detailed answer. First option looks fine for second one I need to have the system installed to look closer. But the idea is clear to me.

While I reading your answer I realise that domain is not a product entity. What can be possible approaches for domains?

I am also discussing it with our team if we really need this products code but we have them in our self written system

as I was replying, I wondered whether you would want to do the same with domains...

if you did, it's not so simple as there's no domain equivalent of product custom fields - you'd be into the realms of needing development to do that... at the most basic level, you could modify the invoice template to show a specific code based on the value of the domain TLD.

but perhaps work out first whether you need these codes for products showing on the invoice - technically, each product in WHMCS does have it's own unique ID number, so your could always generate a report for the bookkeeper with the number/amount of sales per product per month.