Upgrade to 7.2.1 - Down for Maintenance

Yep, me too. The first problem was the backup failed. So, trusting to luck (I know, I know) I just clicked the update button. The High priority service from my providers is very slow. So I had a look online and found this.

At the moment I'm waiting for my provider to get me a link to their copy of 7.2.1 so I can download it from their site, upload it via ftp, then run the install again. I'll let you kow how I get on.

Incidentally, do any of you have the 7.2.1 zip file handy???

It's flat out embarrassing that WHMCS staff just don't care about this. I too, same issue, because of an SQL issue with their upgrade. Ticket opened at around 6 this morning, and nothing.

People, you need to quit stalling support here, seriously! I realize that an update was just released, but this is just flat out embarrassing. Entire sites are locked down because of this crap!

Proof positive, right here, that the 'auto updater' just flat out doesn't work.

Proof positive, right here, that the 'auto updater' just flat out doesn't work.

it's proof positive that WHMCS as a whole is regularly released without being thoroughly tested and long before it's ready for public consumption - happens time and time again...

so we get a rushed update of 7.2.1 only a few hours after v7.2.0; a handful of hotfixes since - plus there's lots of things they haven't even bothered to do properly, e.g add translation replacement strings for English terms... and they didn't even bother to use language strings at all in the MarketConnect nonsense.

i'm going to use the word Infopro, our previous friendly Senior Product Apologist, objected to - it's a shambles of a company.

it's proof positive that WHMCS as a whole is regularly released without being thoroughly tested and long before it's ready for public consumption - happens time and time again...

I wouldn't disagree there, either. I mean, I'm stuck in one update, because (this is just funny, really):

Unable to complete incremental updates: Unable to import the 7.2.0 Alpha1 database file. Unable to import /home/username/public_html/resources/sql/upgrade720alpha1.sql: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1075 Incorrect table definition; there can be only one auto column and it must be defined as a key

There's NO way that this should have ever made it past any competent QA team... NONE! Of course, I have no idea what query is run there (that's a pretty big file), so I can't actually fix the stuff on my own (otherwise I would).

i'm going to use the word Infopro

friendly isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe him, but that's definitely a different story

Same here - 7.2.1 in uninstallable, either manually or automatically, both methods fail with:

"Unable to complete incremental updates: Unable to import the 7.2.0 Alpha1 database file."

Managed to get running again from a full backup of 7.1.2

Harry

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear those of you here have experienced various problems applying the 7.2 update. I realise it is not much comfort, but yours are isolated incidents, many hundreds of users have applied the update successfully, so we do not have cause to believe there is an wideissue with the release or the auto updater. I'd like to address each reported issue individually if I may:

@Peoplespaces, @sherwinaval, @HarryAdney & @FiremanBear - If the auto-update is failing, please follow these steps to identify the error that is occurring: http://help.whmcs.com/m/upgrading/l/679709-automatic-update-failed-identifying-the-problem.

Of if you'd prefer not to re-run the update process, please grab the contents of your tblupdatelog table and post the entries from the most recent attempt here for us to review.

Regarding a "Down for Maintenance" error, this means the database version does not match the PHP files version: https://www.whmcs.com/members/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=186

If you've just performed a manual upload of the full release files, it means you need to visit the /install/install.php script to perform the database update.

@twhiting9275 - I'm pleased to see that our support team were able to identify the customisation to your database which was causing this error and complete the update process for you.

@KevinR - We do provide LTS versions. You can see the schedule here: http://docs.whmcs.com/Long_Term_Support#WHMCS_Version_.26_LTS_Schedule

We appreciate everyone patience as we deal with the increased volume of requests to our support team at times of a new release. Rest assured the team is working hard to respond to every request as quickly as possible.

It's funny how WHMCS tries to blame everyone else for their poorly written code and statements here.

Poorly written code is poorly written code, end of statement... If the upgrade were processed properly, then an error would have thrown with exactly what the problem was, and exactly what query was tried to be run. Instead we get the usual generic "I can't do this" error.

I realize this may seem basic, but come on, WHMCS is how many years old now? How is it that we still don't have proper debugging on upgrades, or properly prepared SQL statements that won't break everything on upgrade?

I guess that it's just too much to ask that a company that's as old as WHMCS act like it's not just a bunch of noobs throwing queries and upgrades around, eh.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. The update obviously failed, but I'm still seeing a spinning hourglass 16 hours later. The "24 hour support" is obviously NOT 24-hour support, as 10 hours later there's been no sign of any acknowledgement they've received my ticket. I'm a new customer, only been using WHMCS for three months, and considering it a shambles and unreliable... on my first upgrade attempt. This weekend is very, very, VERY important, as I'll be at a conference attracting customers. I cannot tell you how FURIOUS I am right now.

Should I:

1. Wait for WHMCS to (maybe) look into the issue?

2. Fresh install WHMCS and use the backup now?

3. Give up and use DirectAdmin instead?

given those 3 options, i'd go 2,3,1 and do a clean install using the db backup.... in a time-critical situation, waiting for a reply from support will probably make you more furious (especially if they reply asking for more info and don't provide a solution).