Option to configure GST for Indian customers

Hello,

Comprehensive indirect tax reform by the name of GST (Goods & Services Tax) is proposed to be introduced in India w.e.f. 01-July-2017. The said reform is a fundamental change in the framework of indirect taxes and impacts not only the rates of tax but also various business processes and associated documentation.

The tax calculations are different for each state.

I would like to know whether the latest version of WHMCS supports GST or it is under development.

If it supports then how to configure it.

Thanks,

Archana

Archana,

Comprehensive indirect tax reform by the name of GST (Goods & Services Tax) is proposed to be introduced in India w.e.f. 01-July-2017. The said reform is a fundamental change in the framework of indirect taxes and impacts not only the rates of tax but also various business processes and associated documentation.

The tax calculations are different for each state.

I would like to know whether the latest version of WHMCS supports GST or it is under development.

If it supports then how to configure it.

there is no native support for it, and I seriously doubt if it's even under development by WHMCS (though you'd have to contact them to get a definitive answer to that)... but there's been a US Counties Tax feature request for four years and I suspect that's not even something WHMCS are planning to do either. :roll:

I think the issue (or similar) has been asked previously...

https://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?125802-How-to-setup-Indian-tax-rules&p=504066#post504066

I suspect your only solution will be to pay for a 3rd-party addon - as you have posted in this subforum, you might get replies from developers asking you to go to their site to give them more details...

the only other way would be to fake it in the invoice, but if you say that each state is different, then even that might be complicated to do in the invoice.

https://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?127434-ViewInvoice-Tax-Splitting

Hello,

We are also having similar doubts as how to handle GST calculations for intrastate & interstate transactions.

GST in India is complicated as there are 3 types of GST - SGST (State GST), CGST (Centeral GST) and IGST (Interstate GST)

SGST and CGST is applied for intrastate transcations at euqal rate (9%+9%) and IGST is applied for interstate transactions at flat 18%

Since tax calculation is based on point of service consumption, it will have too many level of taxes for various states.

What we understand so far is: Currently, WHMCS allows only selection of 1 state at a time. If we have to add tax for 36 states separately, we will have to add 36 IGST Tax Rules for each state.

If WHMCS Tax Rules can be changed to allow multiple selections of states, then GST application in WHMCS is simplified as below:

Apply SGST at level 1 and CGST at level 2 for our native state. i.e. I am based in Mumbai, Maharastra, so I will apply SGST 9% at Level 1 and CGST at 9% at Level 2.

For all remaining states, I will add only Level 1 Tax as IGST at 18%. This is possible if we have multi-select states option in one go. Or we create this rule for other 35 states individually.

We need support from WHMCS team to allow multi-select states to apply GST. I hope this will help address the issue for other WHMCS users in india.

Thank you,

Deepak Sakhrani

Hiya Digital Private Limited

• 1 month later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Such large changes to taxes are a rare occurrence and the situations of each differ so much, that programtically implementing a single solution that could cover every possible tax change situation would be very complex for something which is used rarely. My personal understanding of the new tax rules effective 1st July means that it would be necessary to create Level 1 and Level 2 tax rules one-at-a-time for each state.

• One Level 1 tax for the state of Uttar Pradesh called "CGST" at the rate of 9%
  • Thirty Five Level 1 tax rules for all other states called "CGST" at a rate of 18%
  • One Level 2 tax rule for the state of Uttar Pradesh called "SGST" at the rate of 9%

WHMCS supports two levels of tax, so a third tax could not be displayed on an invoice at this time. However we welcome suggestions and comments:

I understand that GST Identification Numbers are to be issued, which should be displayed on orders.

You can add your company GSTIN for display on invoiced via the Setup > General Settings > General tab > Pay To Text.

To display a client's GSTIN number, a custom Client Field can be created via Setup > Custom Client Fields called GSTIN

Tick the "Show on Order" and "Show on Invoices" checkboxes.

Finally, to handle the change in tax names on 1st July, a template modification can be made to keep old tax names on invoices issued prior to 1st July, and display the new tax names on invoices issues from 1st July onwards:

In /templates/*your active template*/viewinvoice.tpl, find:

<td class="total-row text-right"><strong>{$taxrate}% {$taxname}</strong></td>

Replace with:

<td class="total-row text-right"><strong>{$taxrate}% {if $invoiceid < x}Old Tax Name{else}{$taxname}{/if}</strong></td>

Replace the `x` value with the invoice ID below which you wish to display the old tax name.

Replace the `Old Tax Name` value with the name of the tax rate previously applied.

This is just my personal understanding of the situation at present. I'd be pleased to hear your feedback on how these steps work out for you.

Hello

How to show SAC codes on invoice ? Is there any way we can add SAC code for each product and that will be shown on invoice ?

I did found WHMCS Global Services GST module that does this but they kind of provide yearly subscription and we need permanent fix to this. Apart from this they have all other default WHMCS setting in there module.

Also they provide signature option to show in invoice also. Is that mandatory ??

Any help related to SAC code will be great...

Thanks

Hi,

Such large changes to taxes are a rare occurrence and the situations of each differ so much, that programtically implementing a single solution that could cover every possible tax change situation would be very complex for something which is used rarely. My personal understanding of the new tax rules effective 1st July means that it would be necessary to create Level 1 and Level 2 tax rules one-at-a-time for each state.

• One Level 1 tax for the state of Uttar Pradesh called "CGST" at the rate of 9%
  • Thirty Five Level 1 tax rules for all other states called "CGST" at a rate of 18%
  • One Level 2 tax rule for the state of Uttar Pradesh called "SGST" at the rate of 9%

WHMCS supports two levels of tax, so a third tax could not be displayed on an invoice at this time. However we welcome suggestions and comments:

I understand that GST Identification Numbers are to be issued, which should be displayed on orders.

You can add your company GSTIN for display on invoiced via the Setup > General Settings > General tab > Pay To Text.

To display a client's GSTIN number, a custom Client Field can be created via Setup > Custom Client Fields called GSTIN

Tick the "Show on Order" and "Show on Invoices" checkboxes.

Finally, to handle the change in tax names on 1st July, a template modification can be made to keep old tax names on invoices issued prior to 1st July, and display the new tax names on invoices issues from 1st July onwards:

In /templates/*your active template*/viewinvoice.tpl, find:

<td class="total-row text-right"><strong>{$taxrate}% {$taxname}</strong></td>

Replace with:

<td class="total-row text-right"><strong>{$taxrate}% {if $invoiceid < x}Old Tax Name{else}{$taxname}{/if}</strong></td>

Replace the `x` value with the invoice ID below which you wish to display the old tax name.

Replace the `Old Tax Name` value with the name of the tax rate previously applied.

This is just my personal understanding of the situation at present. I'd be pleased to hear your feedback on how these steps work out for you.

How to get the List of those customers who have entered the GSTIN number in custom field and paid any invoice in current or last month (or any selected month for future reports requirements in upcoming months) as we have to submit every invoice detail while submitting the GST Returns.

• WHMCS Support Manager
How to get the List of those customers who have entered the GSTIN number in custom field and paid any invoice in current or last month (or any selected month for future reports requirements in upcoming months) as we have to submit every invoice detail while submitting the GST Returns.

I imagine this could be achieved by way of a custom report. It could cross-reference the tblcustomfieldsvalues table with the tblinvoices table to locate situations where an invoice was paid within a given timeframe and return the result. You might even be able to customise the existing /modules/reports/vat_moss.php report to this end.

Related documentation: https://docs.whmcs.com/Reports#Creating_your_own_Reports

One more question, is there any way we can remove the dates from invoiced items and just put 1 year or 2 year etc.

This could potentially be achieved by way of a customisation, using the API to edit the invoice line items to remove the dates: http://developers.whmcs.com/api-reference/updateinvoice/

Then automating that code to trigger before the invoice is emailed to the client using an action hook: http://developers.whmcs.com/hooks-reference/invoices-and-quotes/#invoicecreationpreemail

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

I've just approved the following third-party mods to the Marketplace which might be of interest on this topic:

Please note that WHMCS are unable to provide advice or support regarding such after-market mods, please contact the vendor directly.

• 3 months later...