eNom: User not permitted from this IP address

Our hosting company was recently bought by another, and we were migrated to a new server with the assurance that our IP addresses would be unaffected, but after the migration, I started getting the "User not permitted from this IP address" from eNom when a domain purchase or sync was attempted. I thought I'd post what I've learned about finding the problem because I didn't find it in the other posts about this error.

If you're getting this error, and you have already contacted eNom to have your IP whitelisted as described in the documentation, the first step is to identify what IP address is being used by your server for outgoing cURL traffic. You can do so by using SSH to log into your hosting account and then running one of the following commands:

curl -L http://cpanel.net/showip.cgi

or

curl ifconfig.me

The next, and hopefully final, thing you have to do is to submit a support ticket to eNom to have that IP address whitelisted.

1. Visit eNom Help Center.
  2. Click "Launch the Support Center" button and submit a new ticket.
  3. Enter the following information:
    • Subject: "Add IP" or "Change IP"
    • Question: Type the IP address(es) you wish to add or change