life-time license?

PixelPaul

Question

7 answers to this question

Chiming in on this as I actively am reviewing WHMCS for our needs. When I initially researched this new pricing structure was not in place, a more traditional license model was.

The price is not the concern, it is more the question of longevity. Investing in a platform is significant. We are moving from a homegrown billing system that's been in operation for 10 years.

A monthly license makes me question what would happen if something about WHMCS went down. The business closed shop or even the licensing check servers went offline. How would that effect being able to still use the software?

Why should we invest many hours of labor to get our customer data and services into the WHMCS platform, as well as train-up on it, if we only know it will exist for sure for another 30 days?

Thanks,

Charles

Chiming in on this as I actively am reviewing WHMCS for our needs. When I initially researched this new pricing structure was not in place, a more traditional license model was.

The price is not the concern, it is more the question of longevity. Investing in a platform is significant. We are moving from a homegrown billing system that's been in operation for 10 years.

A monthly license makes me question what would happen if something about WHMCS went down. The business closed shop or even the licensing check servers went offline. How would that effect being able to still use the software?

Why should we invest many hours of labor to get our customer data and services into the WHMCS platform, as well as train-up on it, if we only know it will exist for sure for another 30 days?

Thanks,

Charles

From the perspective you described, there isn't really any difference between monthly and the no longer available perpetual licensing. They both call back to the WHMCS licensing servers, so in the event WHMCS close shop then you are s.o.l. either way. The system is somewhat resilient in that it will survive up to about a week of the licensing system going down completely before it actually fails at your end, so minor network glitches should pass unnoticed.

I've been using WHMCS for about 8 years now. Not once have I seen the a licensing error from WHMCS license check server failing, or any issue of the sort.

From a long time client perspective, I do not see WHMCS closing up shop anytime soon. It has been getting MUCH better over the years and I would say is the best it has been in a long time, don't get me wrong, there is always room for improvement, but it is better then it was 5 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I was told that you can still purchase a owned license second-hand under certain conditions. that's what I'm looking to do.

Thats what I did 6 years ago. It was a good investment!