Is it me or is PHP 7 faster?

So I saw on my CloudLinux settings that ioncube it available to enable on PHP 7. So I enabled it, and whmcs is running so much quicker compared to PHP 5.6.

That's great to hear, I'm still using 5.6 but I would be more inclined to update if it's going to be faster. Has anyone else had the same experience with PHP V7?

• 2 weeks later...

In our testing we saw 10% - 20% speed improvements depending on the area of the product. Depending on your server setup, resources, etc it can vary. The biggest warning I would give is to ensure that you don't depend on 3rd party modules that are encoded with older versions of the ioncube encoder. Due to the differences in the php engine, Ioncube was not able to provide the same level of backwards compatibility that previous versions of the loaders and this is the primary reason we have seen for not adopting PHP 7.

• 4 months later...

I am running WHMC v7 side by side using PHP v5.6 and PHP v7. I don't see any difference. Both servers are identical. All I did was clone them and update one to PHP v7.

Don't believe the hype. It's not noticeably faster. At least not for WHMCS. To make a proper comparison you should test with the WHMCS cache cleared and not run any other type of caching.

If you want to use it fine. It seems to work. Just make sure all your 3rd party modules support it. Don't upgrade just because it's new and shiny and surrounded by hype. Test it first to make sure everything you are doing works.

Edited by mustardman

• 3 weeks later...

As well as ensuring your 3rd modules don't use the older ioncube encoder, its also important to make sure they aren't using the deprecated mysql_ package. (e.g. using functions like mysql_query, mysql_connect - it should be mysqli_query, mysqli_connect, etc) - or even better, PDO.

As this has been removed all together in PHP 7.

Theres some other stuff too:

https://secure.php.net/manual/en/migration70.incompatible.php

PHP 7 is faster. No questions asked, it is even faster than HHVM in many cases. We're not talking "the page will load 100x faster" but it will probably shave 1-2 seconds off page load time for heavy scripts (which is still really good)

Take a look at this too: https://www.zend.com/en/resources/php7_infographic

• 3 weeks later...