Upgrade/New Install Help

TechMistress

Ok, here's the deal:

I am running 5.2.10. I want to update to 6.3.

I created a folder called "new" and put in a fresh installation of 6.3 and a new database.

All went well with the install.

Here are my problems:

1. I cannot access my new install admin, because the license doesn't cover a different folder. How can I work on the new install and keep the old one going?

2. How do I import my data from the old version into the new one? Is it even possible? (don't care about templates)

Thanks everyone! I apologize if this question has been asked over and over again - I couldn't quite find the answers to my specific situation.

1. I cannot access my new install admin, because the license doesn't cover a different folder. How can I work on the new install and keep the old one going?

if you have a license from WHMCS, you should be able to get a free developers license from them - that would allow you to have a secondary installation for testing.

the only other way would be to re-issue the license to your new install directory - the client side of the existing v5 installation should continue to work, but you might not be able to access it's admin area.

2. How do I import my data from the old version into the new one? Is it even possible? (don't care about templates)

what I would have done, before installing v6.3.1, would have been to duplicate your existing v5 database and then use that duplicated database in your v6 test installation - I think the install process would have updated it to be v6.3.1 compatible.

I can't think of any realistic way to import the data from the old database to the new...even if you could create one, it'd likely be quicker just to install from scratch again.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

The easiest thing to do would be to edit the configuration.php file in the 'new' folder and point it to your original database (from v5.2.10).

Then upload the /install directory from the v6.3.1 download file. Visit the /new/install directory and run the upgrade script.

This will update the structure of your original database for use with v6.3.1 whilst maintaining all the data. So you're effectively following steps 4-7 of the upgrade instructions: http://docs.whmcs.com/Upgrading