How long can I keep using WHMCS 5.3.14?

ocastaned

At the present time, 5.3 is scheduled to be End on Life on October 31, 2015. After that, it will no longer be supported by WHMCS.

just to clarify that, they will continue to support it - e.g if you ask them a question in November about v5.3, they will answer it (or at least try to!) - what they won't necessarily do, if you spot a bug etc, is to release a fix for that version.

With this service, customers have access to Analysts regardless of which version of the product they are using, even if that version has reached its End Of Life.

so, if your v5.3 is working fine now, and you don't need any of the new features in v6, it's perfectly fine to carry on using it - one of our WHMCS installations is still using v5.3.14 and I suspect will carry on doing so until next year - so you aren't alone.

just to clarify that, they will continue to support it - e.g if you ask them a question in November about v5.3, they will answer it (or at least try to!) - what they won't necessarily do, if you spot a bug etc, is to release a fix for that version.

Thanks for clarifying that, Brian. I was thinking along the lines of getting bug fixes. Another thing to mention, if a security vulnerability is found, in 5.3.14, and it is after it becomes EOL, they might not release a security patch for it. Instead, they will advise you to upgrade to 6. So, it's a good idea to plan ahead, and start preparing to upgrade sometime in the future. You don't want to end up in a situation where you have to do an emergency upgrade to 6, for security reasons.

Just 2 months from now? I don't think most customers moved yet to v6, not all modules work and third party developers are slow to update them.

There are also some bugs on v6.

I think they should support v5 longer, at least for security issues and bugs. No new features, that is fine with me. They can add those to v6.

when 5.3 becomes End on Life on October 31, 2015 it will mean WHMCS will not release fixes or security patches for it. The will answer limited support question, but a majority of help will need to come from the community forum.

yggdrasil they cannot just keep supporting versions because some users don't upgrade to newer versions

Because newer versions are released as "Gold" but they have more bugs than previous ones

no matter companies like Microsoft EOL Operating Systems etc. even CE, Hostbill etc. all EOL older versions. No software house can support every single version they released

Edited by easyhosting

Let's make it short.

You are looking for a 100% stable software with no bugs in every single release -> Impossible

You pretend them to fix all bugs in all versions even ones older than 5 years -> Impossible and useless too

No offense but we have to deal with it since this is not utopia :)

companies like Microsoft EOL Operating Systems etc

Yes, the EOL it after 10+ years and even then are legally obliged to provide certain amounts of support/repair/fixes.

EOL'ing an application when they're more than a year late on releasing 6 and it's nowhere near production ready is not only stupid, in some countries would be illegal - this is the 'problem' with announcing eol dates before the next version is in widespread use, and a policy they'll have to fix.

I would hope that nobody, outside of WHMCS, would argue that v6 was anywhere near "ready" when it was launched. :roll:

it was inevitable that there would need to be an update within weeks of launch - though given WHMCS' testing proficiency, that probably would have happened even if it had been kept in beta for another year!

we're now back on the usual carousel of wondering which currently working feature will the next update break? e.g., one of the "fixes" from v6.0.2 breaks something that was quite happily working in v6.0.1 :lol:

CORE-8807 - Update .ae whois servers entry

the v6.0.2 entry doesn't work; the entry from v6.0.1 is correct.

btw - WHMCS did extend the EOL of v5.3, as it was scheduled to end in February 2015, before the first beta came out, so they pushed it back 8 months.

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?96803-WHMCS-v5-4

I would hope that nobody, outside of WHMCS, would argue that v6 was anywhere near "ready" when it was launched. :roll:

it was inevitable that there would need to be an update within weeks of launch - though given WHMCS' testing proficiency, that probably would have happened even if it had been kept in beta for another year!

we're now back on the usual carousel of wondering which currently working feature will the next update break? e.g., one of the "fixes" from v6.0.2 breaks something that was quite happily working in v6.0.1 :lol:

the v6.0.2 entry doesn't work; the entry from v6.0.1 is correct.

btw - WHMCS did extend the EOL of v5.3, as it was scheduled to end in February 2015, before the first beta came out, so they pushed it back 8 months.

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?96803-WHMCS-v5-4

the main factor is when in Beta it is done outside of production, so features may work fine in Beta, but fail in a production environment.

The issue with 6 was 3rd party developers were not ready so a lot of addons/modules would not work

the main factor is when in Beta it is done outside of production, so features may work fine in Beta, but fail in a production environment.

obviously, I wasn't suggesting they shouldn't launch until bug-free - that would never happen - just that it was plainly launched with bugs that should have been spotted.

... and there were many who installed the beta/rc in their production environments! :roll:

The issue with 6 was 3rd party developers were not ready so a lot of addons/modules would not work

no it wasn't the issue - I wasn't thinking about addons or developers, just the core product itself - it wasn't ready... anyway, that's irrelevant now, it's launched. :)

no doubt there was/is "an" issue for developers - and there's an argument to be had that WHMCS should announce in advance when they plan to launch releases, but i've seen the reaction when they have in the past, so I can fully understand why they don't any longer.

anyway, this thread is moving off-topic, so I won't reply further.