Advice when migrating from AWBS to WHMCS

ScottN

Question

I had posted in the Marketplace, looking to purchase consulting services to help ease our migration from AWBS to WHMCS, but no takers.

Anyone out here that has come from AWBS to WHMCS, that is willing to share any war stories, to help us through this migration?

I'm thinking the general process will look like this:

Prior to conversion date:

1. Purchase license
  2. Install WHMCS in temporary sub-domain
  3. Do the basic WHMCS configuration
  4. Customize look and feel
  5. As a test, use AWBS-to-WHMCS migration script to bring in current customers and data
  6. Review the migrated data, come up with a list of things we will have to manually do
  7. Set a date for official migration and notify customers of upcoming changes.

On the conversion date:

1. Shut down AWBS site so no further transactions take place (stop all crons, too!)
  2. Dump the data we originally imported (not sure how to do this, without losing our config/customization)
  3. Move the AWBS installation to another subdomain and password protect it, so we can refer to it later
  4. Move the WHMCS installation to our primary billing domain (does this require a license change?)
  5. Re-run AWBS Import Script
  6. Do all the manual things we documented (Affiliates, Other packages, Hosting Add-ons, etc.)
  7. Go live

Am I missing any steps? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Scott

3 answers to this question

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Those migration steps sounds pretty comprehensive to me. To address your questions:

2. The queries to run on the database are published at http://docs.whmcs.com/Maintenace

4. Yes, you will need to reissue the licence which you can do via the licence details page within our members area.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, John! Can you tell me what I need to do, when I change the subdomain of the dev WHMCS site? i.e. if I install WHMCS temporarily at dev.example.com, then when I go live, I will move the files to billing.example.com... what other files/paths/config will need to be changed, in addition to the license?

I *really* appreciate you being here for us! This is a gigantic (and scary) undertaking.

- Scott

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Just the Setup > General Settings > WHMCS System URL values would need updating.

However if you'd moved the attachments, templates_c, downloads and/or crons directories, you'd need to update the paths in your configuration.php and config.php files too.