Help, "A group for that username already exists"

mtnbiz

I created an account. Usually everything gets created automatically, just like it is supposed to. This time, the client's domain starts with "mountain..." and that was automatically chosen as the username.

I get the message that the account is pending. When I try to change it to active, it gives me the error, "Sorry, a group for that username already exists." I check cPanel and the server space wasn't set up either.

OK, so the name already exists. I can't change the username. What are my options? Can I create another account and choose the username? Will the automatic billing I already set up continue to work? Can I merge the correct account with the new one?

I understand that other people are having the same problem, but I can't figure out how to fix it because the username can't be changed.

I am going to write the solution here because I couldn't find it anywhere else on the web.

I changed the username and then hit "save changes". Duh

Because the "save changes" button was at the bottom of the page, I didn't see it before. All of my previous attempts were made using the "create" module button - and that obviously didn't work.

I had read that you couldn't change a username, but that is AFTER the account is set up in cPanel because the database and everything is already set up by then.

So, if you get the "A group for that username already exists" error, just change the username and click the "save changes" button at the bottom of the page. THEN click the create module button and everything will be set up on cPanel - good to go!

Hope this helps.