12. centralnic

registries that do not allow privacy protection

1. .in

2. .us

3. .coop

4. .eu

5. .travel

6. .uk

(.UK has WHOIS OPT-OUT, but the registrant name is still shown, and if you run a site that "sells" something which has OPT-OUT turned on, and it is reported to Nominet, they will remove the OPT-OUT service)

Domains that require EPP:

1 .com

2 .net

3 .org

4 .info

5 .biz

6 .us

7 .in (along with any third level .in domain like .co.in)

8 .name

9 .bz

10 .mn

11 .mobi

12 .cc (not compulsory)

13 .tv (not compulsory)

14 .coop

Kind regards,

Chris

.tv = Tuvalu an island country of the western Pacific Ocean north of Fiji.

Organized as a British protectorate in 1892, the islands became part of the Gilbert and Ellice Islands Colony in 1915 and achieved independence in 1978. Fongafale, on Funafuti Island, is the capital.

just an update to this list, .CA does not allow privacy protection but they just changed their whois so that personal registrations (as a canadian citizen) is protected by default.

makes it harder to help your customers transfer names if you (and they) do not know if their admin contact is up to date!

cheers

john

Not sure if I understand correctly, but if you are saying that you will modify contact details on a domain that does not support privacy protection to something other than what the registry requires, hiding the registrant details could violate the terms. If you are trying to modify the privacy protection on a domain that supports it, and the customer is aware and willing to do so, then, yes you could do so.

I probably dont understand the idea of privacy protection fully...

I know some domains support it, so is it something which u have to tell the registry if you like? :S

I just saw a site and it basically said the details would be hidden the email would be like d5d45@domainreg.com and that would get forwarded to them so their email is hidden..

Can anyone suggest something to look at which give detailed description of Privacy on domain?

Dan

Hi Dan,

We as the registrar have to hold the correct information, as we have to lodge it with IronMountain under RDE rules.

The problem with trying to do it yourself, is if the address information is incorrect, or, the regitsrant makes a complaint, how can we verify who they are? And when we send out the confirmation email for confirm WHOIS information (an ICANN rule) how do we know they actually get it (not saying we do now, just this adds another possible issue).

Kind regards,

Chris

I see, so if the email was a forwarder to their real email would that be wrong?

so if i set up a email like domain15s51@xdnet.co.uk which redirected to their real one?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes you could do that, remember the possible spam implications as well (if you are forwarding it, headers will show your server not the original server from recollection) so you may get blacklisted on some lists and services etc.

Also remember, the address that you place as the registrant what will that be?

Lastly if hte registrant contact us directly because they couldnt get hold of you for whatever reason, how do we know they are the actual owner?

It is just a minefield for interpretation from ICANN's RAA.

Regards,

Chris

Sorry (and no offense) Chris, but I can't understand why you say "Yes you can do that".

@Dan ...

It's just safer not to do this on behalf of your clients...

If they want to do it themselves, that's another thing.

However, if someone does this as a service, knowingly to hide the identity or contact info of the registrant, you would be violating the terms of registration of most tlds where it is not allowed.

As Chris pointed out, "a minefield for interpretation" or a grey area. Should something go wrong, a client could loose his/her domain, and you could also be held accountable or suffer consequence.

Sorry (and no offense) Chris, but I can't understand why you say "Yes you can do that".

Hi UR,

No offense taken :) I said it because we wouldnt be any the wiser, its bad practice, and would take some setting up, but we take a handfull of domains to check the whois manually. The automated email goes out to everyone to confirm WHOIS is correct once a year.

Its best to leave the privacy protection to the registrar.

Kind regards,

Chris

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the useful list. Why isn't this highlighted when configuring domains in WHMCS?

I've only just found out after 18months of using WHMCS and now need to go back in and adjust settings plus re-visit .uk domains that should have privacy but don't.

Surely it would make sense to explain this in the WHMCS documentation?

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Just to add to the list: .br also supports EPP, but it works very differently from a gTLD. An WHMCS module is being developed and its initial version is available at https://github/registrobr/whmcs-registrobr-epp

.br doesn't support privacy protect, and if the registrar puts his information into WHOIS, the registrar is legally liable for anything the customer does with the domain.