make support visible to guests

snake

ok thanks, i'm not being funny but, the docs and the settings seem to imply it should be possible for guests to be able to submit tickets without having to make changes to templates. Otherwise it seems like it would be pretty pointless to make any dept as client only ?

if you un-tick the "Clients Only" option so anyone can send tickets to this department if they access to /submitticket.php page or if they have the full URL to send to this department directly...

what you need is to link to specified department right?

Sentq is correct - linking to submitticket.php should be enough - if you have any support deptartments that aren't client only, then it should open a submitticket form... however, often it doesn't and you need to go one step further in the links and specify the correct department...

http://docs.whmcs.com/Linking_to_WHMCS#Support_Ticket_Links

so, you could add a link in the form of...

http://demo.whmcs.com/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1

what you will need to do is find the id of your department, which you can do by clicking the edit button in the support departments page and finding the value of "id" from the URL.

the weird thing is, once you add the correct link and click on it, from that point on you can just go to submitticket.php and it will go to that department directly... if you have multiple guest departments, it will go to step 1 which will show links to the available departments... this seems to happen even if you clear the template cache or use a browser that you don't normally use with whmcs... perhaps it's a bug or maybe some setting i've missed, but I think it has worked like that for a while.

anyway, if you set the link to specify the correct support department, it should work fine.

yes this is exactly what I was expecting, but it doesn't work as nobody can submit any ticket, not guest or client

if you either hit the "Contact Us" link in the menu, or add submitticket.php to the above URL, then it works for me and takes me to whmcs/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1

if you aren't seeing that, then it might be worth clearing your template cache...

utilities -> system -> system cleanup -> empty template cache

ok I did not check the contact us page as this was a pre-sales contact form last time I looked at it, I did not realise this had changed to a ticket form.

this will be defined in setup -> general settings -> mail -> Presales Form Destination

http://docs.whmcs.com/Mail_Tab#Presales_Form_Destination_OR_Presales_Contact_Form_Email

you can assign the contact form to a department, or to an email address - I think if you leave both blank, it just sends it as an email to admin... if you assign it to a dept, it creates a ticket.

however this is what I am trying to achieve: http://screencast.com/t/EW8iYEUKV

to get a Support link in the menu, you should follow sentq's previous advice about adding a link in the menu.

there are really two menus defined in header.tpl - one is shown for guests (e.g not logged in), another is shown for logged in clients... the support link is already in the loggedin part, but not in the guests part - so it will just be a case of adding it to the menu.

an alternate way, if you don't want to edit the template, might be to use Language Overrides - http://docs.whmcs.com/Language_Overrides - to change the "Contact Us" text on the menu to "Open Ticket" (or whatever phrase you want to use)...

$_LANG['contactus'] = "Contact Us";

ah ok, that makes sense now RE the contact form, I had changed the destination a few days ago.

Despite having used WHMCS for years, I never used the built in support as we always used Kayako.

I did not realise that getting the support link on the menu and the button on the ticket page was a customisation, I had assumed this was default being as it how it looks at whmcs.com when you login to your account and is how I have seen it when logging into other sites that use whmcs.

I did not realise that getting the support link on the menu and the button on the ticket page was a customisation, I had assumed this was default being as it how it looks at whmcs.com when you login to your account and is how I have seen it when logging into other sites that use whmcs.

it will be displayed by default when you login to client area, but as you said you need it to be displayed to guests too, so this will require a little customization as suggested above by @brain!

ah but that is the thing, on my install, when client is logged in I get an "open ticket" link appear on the menu, rather than an "open ticket" button on the tickets page. So it doesn't look the same as when you submit a ticket at whmcs.com

ah but that is the thing, on my install, when client is logged in I get an "open ticket" link appear on the menu, rather than an "open ticket" button on the tickets page. So it doesn't look the same as when you submit a ticket at whmcs.com

from my quick look, they looked the same to me... only difference would be on whmcs.com you get a choice of departments, but you won't see that if you only have 1 dept.

like sentq, i'm now not quite sure exactly what you want to do - you can add a button on any page you wanted to which could link to submitticket.php