eNom Reseller Renewal Information

cascer1

Hi,

eNom will start sending out renewal notices for all domains that their resellers have sold. The only way to opt out of this is filling out some questions. Unfortunately I cannot answer all of them, and I think one of the requirements cannot be met using WHMCS

Here are the questions:

1. Schedule of your renewal notifications.

A minimum of two notifications are required approximately 1 month and 1 week prior to expiration. If a domain expires, one additional notice with renewal instructions is required within 5 days after the expiration date. For more specific details on the ICANN requirements, please visit https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

The notices prior to expiration are fine, but I did not (yet) find any way to send domain expiration notices.

2. Describe How you determine to whom the notices are sent.

Renewal notices must be sent to the registrant, not just an account holder.

I don't know how WHMCS determines this, I think it's just account holder?

3. Templates of your renewal notices.

Pretty straight forward

4. Description of your logging process for renewal notices that can be provided to eNom upon request.

Data needs to be kept indefinitely and furnished to eNom upon request within 3 days.

Will the WHMCS email logs suffice?

Any help finding the correct answers to these questions (and setting up the expiration notices) is appreciated.

Hi there,

I have an eNom reseller account and just got this on my email:

============================================================

Dear Valued Partners,

One of the most important responsibilities we have at Enom is to maintain compliance with ICANN regulations. Those responsibilities extend to our channel partners as explained within your reseller agreement with Enom. To ensure we maintain compliance with ICANN's 2013 RRA as of February 1st, 2015, eNom will begin sending out domain renewal notices to domain name registrants on behalf of all resellers. This applies to all Enom reseller partners.

In order to "opt-out" of this process and send renewal notices to the domain registrants through your own methods, there is an application and approval process that is available. If you would like to opt out of having eNom send renewal notices to customers on your behalf, you must complete our opt-out application at http://www.enom.rocks/renewals before January 15, 2015. Our ICANN compliance team will review your application and, if accepted, opt you out of our sending renewal notices on your behalf.

It is critically important that you have set a valid renewal URL so customers can be directed to your site to renew their domain. You can set this URL in your reseller renewal account settings at http://www.enom.com/myaccount/renewalsettings.aspx?.

The Notice Application Opt-Out Process

In order to confirm that any partner who sends renewal notices will be in compliance with ICANN regulations, we will require the following information as part of your opt-out application:

1. A schedule of your renewal notifications

A minimum of three notices to the Registrant are required. The first two must be between 26-35 days and between 4-10 days prior to expiration. The additional notice must be sent within 5 days post-expiration.

2. Describe how you determine who the notices are sent to

3. Email templates for your renewal notices

4. One of the following:

a. Description of your logging process for renewal notices that demonstrates your ability to provide eNom a record of such renewal notices upon request. Log data needs to be kept indefinitely and furnished to eNom upon request within 3 business days.

b. An agreement in writing to blind copy (BCC) all of your renewal notices to resellerrenewals@enom.com

Please note that, when we receive ICANN complaints, we typically have 5 business days to respond with this information, so we need our resellers to be responsive.

Once we receive your application and it is approved by our compliance team, your account will be opted out of having eNom send renewal notices.

Regards,

Steve Banfield

SVP & GM, Registrar Services

============================================================

How do we customize the renewal URL to opt out from this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I received the following email this morning from eNom about my domain reseller account. It appears I can't set another domain renewal reminder AFTER the domain expiration date. Nor can I only forward domain renewal reminders to their email address below. I an using the latest WHMCS v5.2 branch. Is there a way someone has adjusted their WHMCS to accommodate eNom requirements? Will WHMCS be edited to accommodate this? I don't want my clients getting renewal reminders from eNom that will just confuse them.

Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 11:25 AM

To: support @ anglerhosting .com

Subject: Reseller Renewal Notices

Dear Valued Partners,

One of the most important responsibilities we have at Enom is to maintain compliance with ICANN regulations. Those responsibilities extend to our channel partners as explained within your reseller agreement with Enom. To ensure we maintain compliance with ICANN's 2013 RRA as of February 1st, 2015, eNom will begin sending out domain renewal notices to domain name registrants on behalf of all resellers. This applies to all Enom reseller partners.

In order to "opt-out" of this process and send renewal notices to the domain registrants through your own methods, there is an application and approval process that is available. If you would like to opt out of having eNom send renewal notices to customers on your behalf, you must complete our opt-out application at http://www.enom.rocks/renewals before January 15, 2015. Our ICANN compliance team will review your application and, if accepted, opt you out of our sending renewal notices on your behalf.

It is critically important that you have set a valid renewal URL so customers can be directed to your site to renew their domain. You can set this URL in your reseller renewal account settings at http://www.enom.com/myaccount/renewalsettings.aspx?.

In order to confirm that any partner who sends renewal notices will be in compliance with ICANN regulations, we will require the following information as part of your opt-out application:

A minimum of three notices to the Registrant are required. The first two must be between 26-35 days and between 4-10 days prior to expiration. The additional notice must be sent within 5 days post-expiration.

4. One of the following:

a. Description of your logging process for renewal notices that demonstrates your ability to provide eNom a record of such renewal notices upon request. Log data needs to be kept indefinitely and furnished to eNom upon request within 3 business days.

b. An agreement in writing to blind copy (BCC) all of your renewal notices to resellerrenewals @ enom .com

Please note that, when we receive ICANN complaints, we typically have 5 business days to respond with this information, so we need our resellers to be responsive.

Once we receive your application and it is approved by our compliance team, your account will be opted out of having eNom send renewal notices.

Regards,

Steve Banfield

SVP & GM, Registrar Services

I received the following from enom today about ICANN compliance. I know about this documentation at http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=78862 but it doesn't satisfy the following requirements:

1) Renewal notices must be sent to the registrant, not just an account holder.

2) An agreement in writing to blind copy (BCC) all of your renewal notices to esellerrenewals@enom.com

Any ideas how to send reminders to registrant as well as customer?

Also how to BCC Renewals notices to resellerrenewals@enom.com?

===============================

Dear Valued Partners,

4. One of the following:

b. An agreement in writing to blind copy (BCC) all of your renewal notices to resellerrenewals@enom.com

If this is of any help, I just filled the form to opt out providing the requested info mentioning we use WHCMS and they approved my request.

=============================================================

1. What is your schedule of renewal notices?

We have WMCS software installed to manage our clients. We have 5 scheduled notifications in this order:

60 days prior to expiration date

30 days prior to expiration date

15 days prior to expiration date

10 days prior to expiration date

5 days prior to expiration date

5 days post expiration date (sent manually) since WHMCS has no option for this.

2. How do you determine to whom the notices are sent?

Notices are sent to the registrant's email account registered within our clients' porfile in WHMCS. Also, most of our clients have hosting packages with us which include the registrarion and renewal of the domain name.

3. Renewal notice template:

Just copy/paste your Upcoming Domain Renewal Notice template IN ENGLISH

4. Describe your process for logging renewal notice notifications.

Emails sent to our clients are stored in the WHMCS database which is backed up daily and kept on our server. We also back it up once every 15 days manually and keep it on a hard drive locally in our office.

Make necessary adjustments to fit your needs. Please do not use this one for copy/paste. This is just an example to help you out.

Regards,

JPmaster

- - - Updated - - -

@ davet,

You do not have to BCC all emails, read carefully, it says "One of the following"

Hi,

Unfortunately, I do not believe that we can comply with Enom's requirements as...

1. WHMCS doesn't have a facility to send a reminder after the expiration.

2. It is not possible for WHMCS to send an email to the registrant, only to the main contact for the account. In many cases, the main contact and the registrant may be the same, but in some cases the registrant will be different.

I am hoping that the WHMCS team can make the required upgrades to WHMCS, but in the meantime, I personally feel that I have to accept that Enom will send email to the registrants as I do not want to have to remember to send emails manually.

I sent eNom all the details required from our current WHMCS setup, here is their response:

Hello,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Based on your response it does not appear that a notification is sent to the registrant after expiration. If a domain expires, ICANN requires at least one notification with instructions on how to renew be sent to the registered name holder within 5 days of the expiration date. Please let us know once this notification has been added to your notification schedule and we will opt your account out of the renewal notifications.

You can see the complete requirements of the ERRP here: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

Thank you,

Compliance Department

eNom, Inc.

Fax: 425.974.4795

compliancegroup@enom.com

Are you guys working on a fix for this? We also need the ability to BCC resellerrenewals@enom.com with all renewal notices.

• WHMCS Support Manager

We are working closely with eNom to ensure that WHMCS meets all of the new notification policy requirements, and further details of how to perform the opt-out process as a WHMCS user will be provided in due course.

You can easily BCC the domain reminder emails to eNom by entering resellerrenewals@enom.com into the "Copy To" field of the Upcoming Domain Renewal Reminder email template (Setup > Email Templates > Edit).

• 3 weeks later...
If this is of any help, I just filled the form to opt out providing the requested info mentioning we use WHCMS and they approved my request.

1. What is your schedule of renewal notices?

We have WMCS software installed to manage our clients. We have 5 scheduled notifications in this order:

60 days prior to expiration date

30 days prior to expiration date

15 days prior to expiration date

10 days prior to expiration date

5 days prior to expiration date

5 days post expiration date (sent manually) since WHMCS has no option for this.

2. How do you determine to whom the notices are sent?

Notices are sent to the registrant's email account registered within our clients' porfile in WHMCS. Also, most of our clients have hosting packages with us which include the registrarion and renewal of the domain name.

3. Renewal notice template:

Just copy/paste your Upcoming Domain Renewal Notice template IN ENGLISH

4. Describe your process for logging renewal notice notifications.

Emails sent to our clients are stored in the WHMCS database which is backed up daily and kept on our server. We also back it up once every 15 days manually and keep it on a hard drive locally in our office.

Make necessary adjustments to fit your needs. Please do not use this one for copy/paste. This is just an example to help you out.

Regards,

JPmaster

- - - Updated - - -

@ davet,

You do not have to BCC all emails, read carefully, it says "One of the following"

We went with something close to that (meaning we didn't just copy and paste) and we got an email from ENOM saying that our account with them has been processed for exemption.

Hi,

Here are some general points I made when ICANN implemented these regulations last year: http://blog.whmcs.com/insights.php?t=78862

My only question with this John, if you don't mind clarifying for me - if a customer has ticked Disable Auto Renewal for domains, WHMCS does not create an invoice and so I assume there would be no payment reminder email to be sent out? Any thoughts on how to get around this situation?

Thanks in advance :)

2. It is not possible for WHMCS to send an email to the registrant, only to the main contact for the account. In many cases, the main contact and the registrant may be the same, but in some cases the registrant will be different.

How are whmcs users satisfying this requirement? thanks...

You can easily BCC the domain reminder emails to eNom by entering resellerrenewals@enom.com into the "Copy To" field of the Upcoming Domain Renewal Reminder email template (Setup > Email Templates > Edit).

While that is all well and good if you only use Enom. But we have several different registrar accounts. So I guess ENOM will be getting 4 emails for EVERY domain that comes up for renewal...even if they are not the registrar. This needs to be built in to be registrar specific.

In addition, one last notice must be sent within 5 days post domain expiration.

Regarding this; would it work to enter a negative number in the Renewal Notice text box (WHMCS -> Setup -> Automation Settings)? Might be a long shot, but depending on how the logic is coded it might send the notice 1 day after the expiration if you enter "-1".

Regarding this; would it work to enter a negative number in the Renewal Notice text box (WHMCS -> Setup -> Automation Settings)? Might be a long shot, but depending on how the logic is coded it might send the notice 1 day after the expiration if you enter "-1".

I had an open ticket with WHMCS on the ICANN compliance (or lack of) issue, so I asked them and they thought it 'should' work, but of course is unsupported etc, etc. So it seems like it might be worth a try.

It would be helpful if there was a different email template for the post-expiration reminder as obviously the message to send is considerably different at that point.

• WHMCS CEO

As mentioned in my blog post a couple of weeks ago, we have been working very closely with eNom to make sure we fully address this. As is often the case however, we weren't aware of this change as far in advance as we would have liked. Nevertheless, I can confirm that the next release of WHMCS will be fully compliant with the new ICANN requirements and ensure domain providers using WHMCS can opt-out and handle the domain renewals notice process internally through WHMCS in a fully compliant way.

In order to do this we are implementing the following changes:

1. The default domain expiry email notice sending rules will be setup as per ICANN rules

2. It will be possible to configure separate email templates to be used for before and after the domain expiry date passes

3. Renewal notices will be sent to the domain registrant contacts email address (sending them to the clients profile email address is not enough)

4. A log will be kept of what domain renewal notices have been sent and when, with the ability to easily provide this to ICANN or a domain registrar upon request

I can also confirm that currently entering a negative number in the renewal notice reminder days to send values will not work as renewal notices are only sent to Active domains, and once a domain has expired its status gets changed to Expired.

If you have any further questions, please open a ticket and a member of our team will be able to put you in touch with someone who can answer your questions.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Nevertheless, I can confirm that the next release of WHMCS will be fully compliant with the new ICANN requirements and ensure domain providers using WHMCS can opt-out and handle the domain renewals notice process internally through WHMCS in a fully compliant way.

I'm only seeing eNom mentioned here. Are/can you also working with other domain registrars? Specifically NEO? I've tried talking to Chris, but really got nowhere. I suspect any registrar that uses the LogicBoxes platform is stuck with their crap (that's the nicest word I can use to describe the LB platform), but undoubtedly you would have more sway than I do.

The email sent out by NEO is a joke. We've spent years educating customers, teaching them to only trust renewal emails that come from US and our system. This email clearly isn't one of ours, and has a .txt attachment with a list of domain names. It LOOKS like spam. I got one last night for one of our domain names, and almost deleted it thinking it was spam that had slipped through the filters.

Another issue: if we have no record of the renewal email being sent, how can WE prove it was? I can totally understand ICANN requiring certain emails to be sent at certain times, prior and after if necessary. What I can't understand is that being taken out of the hands of the company who's doing the direct selling.

Looking at how little profit we made last year from domain names, I'm wondering if any of this hassle and hoop-jumping is worth the time.