Selling Subdomanins. Possible w. WHMCS?

nookai

Question

Hi there,

I am considering WHMCS and I am wondering if it can be used as a registry, selling subdomains.

Lets say I own abc.tld, def.tld and xyz.tld and would like to sell like mydomain.abc.tld or yourdomain.xyz.tld for a small fee, let users manage DNS (which is PowerDNS), optionally offer hosting-packages, automatically generate invoices for registration and renewal, automatically enable the subdomains after payment is received Paypal, 2CO), automatically send final notices and in cases delete the subdomains, if no payment is received, etc. basically what the large ccTLD registries or these wired new TLD registries (.guru, .email and whatnot) do.

If so, can you give me a brief how-to, so I can try that in the demo?

Thanks! :)

P.S. I found an old thread using search, but the answers from 2009 don't seem to be applicable any more.

3 answers to this question

Thank you for your reply Alex,

so it basically works (I guess I just need to fix a price/year unless I want to offer "free" domains) and I reckon the cloudflare part is optional, if I do it on my own server?

As I am totally new to WHMCS: How/where do I set this up? Thanks! :)

Subdomains are set per product so the pricing would be the same as any other product would be (Options: Free, one-off payment, monthly, 3 months, 6 months, 12 then up to 3 years).

In the 'Other' tab of Setup -> Product/Services -> Product/Services you can add all of your subdomains that you want to allow (.example.com) separated by commas.

If you're just offering subdomains, I'd also disable domain options in Setup -> General Settings -> Domains (Ability to transfer domains in etc).

I am not sure but I think you will be looking at a little custom dev (or an existing module) for the rest of it. I would try sending the owner of the 'co.cc clone' a message on here or on his website and see what he says.

Edited by Alex - Arvixe