Paypal - IPN Delivery Failed

Felipekk

I have been receiving alot of emails from Paypal with the following message:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

Code:

https://www.mysite.com/clients/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

For some reason, this happened from nowhere, I haven't changed anything on the server...

I already checked ModSecurity and there is nothing blocking it, tried to change the permissions, and when I use the Paypal IPN simulator I get this message:

We could not send an IPN due to an HTTP error: 406: Not Acceptable

I tried to upload a new paypal.php file, but still not working.

Anyone can give me some light on this? :(

Thank you

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

This sounds like a separate issue; your server was unable to resolve http://www.paypal.com through cURL for a while.

That's something your server admin/hosting provider would need to investigate. If PayPal wasn't able to connect and the IPNS failed that suggests either the server was down, or there's something blocking connections both-ways.

Hey John, thanks for the response...

Well, the link is correct, and I get this error: We could not send an IPN due to an HTTP error: 406: Not Acceptable

I tried changing the permissions to 777 and the error changed but the IPN was still not working.

I manage the dedicated and I have no security plugin that would cause that, I will try to contact my datacenter and ask to check if the Anti-DDOS might be doing this, could you point me whats the paypal IP's to verify IPN's?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have the same issue and after a lot research this 406 HTTP is not a mod_security problem but a header set by WHMCS !

IPN Handshake Invalid or IPN Handshake Error and the WHMCS do it:

header("HTTP/1.0 406 Not Acceptable");

exit();

Are you able to correct it fastly?

Best regards.

Source (Sorry for this link): whmcs52_latest_decoded_nulled_mtimer/blob/5d7bc09/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php line 37->48

Edited by Infopro
Link Modified

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • WHMCS Technical Analyst
On 25/09/2014 at 14:52, jservices said:

If you are reading this and stil having an issues then please check the link to the whmc documentation below which explains the problem and provides a solution. Cheers!

http://docs.whmcs.com/PayPal#IPN_Handshake_Invalid

Since the introduction of our newer Paypal Checkout module, this former module is now called PayPal Basic and thus the link has now changed to:
https://docs.whmcs.com/PayPal_Basic#IPN_Handshake_Invalid

I received the following from Paypal last month

Perhaps it may help if others have IPN issues

As a reminder, communicated via email in the first week of December 2020, PayPal is expanding the Instant Payments Notification (IPN) infrastructure used to notify sellers about events related to the status of PayPal transactions. This change has added seven new IP addresses from which IPNs are being sent since 18 January 2021. 

Below are all of the IP addresses that are being used for IPN.
(removed)

Call to action

If you are implementing any Access Control List (ACL) or filters on IP addresses for the IPNs received from PayPal, we request that you add all of the aforementioned IP addresses before 3 May 2021

Doing so will help avoid missing IPNs from PayPal. If you have any further questions about this migration activity, please feel free to contact Merchant Technical Support (www.paypal-techsupport.com).

Thank you,

PayPal