3 decimals taxes

kyrotomia

Hi,

This is only a quick feedback as I was able to make the changes myself to the software.

At least here in Quebec (Canada), we have taxes that have 3 decimals (actual rate is 9.975%) and I noticed WHMCS would round it up to 2 decimals(9.98%). I found out the mysql schema is set to use a DECIMAL(10,2), and I simply changed it for a DECIMAL (10,3).

I thought it was worth noting, considering this is such a quick fix and may be useful for others.

Actually this was good to bring up because i didnt realize they they changed my local tax rate and so now i have to account for 4 dec places so i had to change mine to 10,4 . What happens is that if you lets say leave it at 10,2 and you put in 6.0001 it will give you Invalid Token and refresh the screen and your entry is gone. So i changed mine to 10,4 and it accepted it just fine after that.

Just fyi this is in the table called tbltax

Also on a dif note but same topic i found this link below to be a good read as well regarding taxes, i just wish they would clarify "physical presense" alittle better. Does this mean that since my host server is in NY that i have to pay NY sales tax as well, or does physical presense mean where i physically live.

http://www.cardfellow.com/blog/online-sales-tax-rules-laws/

Edited by durangod

Reading this thread I noted that this quick-fix won't fix everything as it is explained.

2 tables need to be modified to make it work, tbltax, field: taxrate

and tblinvoices fields: taxrate and taxrate2.

That way invoices will work as well.

Reading this thread I noted that this quick-fix won't fix everything as it is explained.

2 tables need to be modified to make it work, tbltax, field: taxrate

and tblinvoices fields: taxrate and taxrate2.

That way invoices will work as well.

Thank you so much for sharing that, nice find there.. really appreciate that ;)

• 2 weeks later...
For QC tax i have modified all of these to 10,3 for DECIMAL. Now it shows up as 9.975 in tax rules etc.

tblinvoices

tax

tax2

taxrate

taxrate2

tabletax

taxrate

tablequotes

tax1

tax2

Actually i dont think that is correct here, unless you want your total tax amounts to be 3 decimal as well and i dont think you want that.

here i will break this down for you here. You just want to extend the tax rate not the tax amount fields.

So...

tblinvoices

tax - this is the amount of tax charged (result) to the customer you want this at 10 2

tax2 - this is the amount of tax charged (result) to the customer you want this at 10 2

taxrate - this is your tax rate which yes needs to go from 10,2 to (i set mine at 10,4)

taxrate2 - this is your tax rate which yes needs to go from 10,2 to (i set mine at 10,4)

tabletax

taxrate - this is your tax rate which yes needs to go from 10,2 to (i set mine at 10,4)

tablequotes

tax1 - this is the amount of tax charged (result) to the customer you want this at 10 2

tax2 - this is the amount of tax charged (result) to the customer you want this at 10 2

The thing is you want to change the tax rate (x.xxxx) to appropriate for your area 10,4 should handle most. But you want the result of that calculation to be rounded off to 2 decimal places. Otherwize your going to charge your customers $x.xxxx in taxes and thats prob not correct for you. You only want $x.xx in the charged tax area.

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

Bonjour kyrotomia :)

I am also from Québec :)

Don't worry about the 3 decimals. It's ok to round up : our money no longer include penny anyway. Everything is rounded up :)

I would like to point you to this : http://cccd-rcc.org/fr/revendication/notice20120705.asp

It say : "Après plusieurs échanges avec des représentants du ministère des Finances, ce dernier a confirmé au CCCD qu'il sera toujours possible pour un détaillant, comme par le passé, d'utiliser des facteurs mathématiques arrondis à deux points décimaux lorsque le système de caisse enregistreuse utilisé ne permet pas de déterminer la TVQ au taux réel de trois décimales (art. 69.3.1L.R.Q., chapitre T-0.1, Loi sur la taxe de vente du Québec). Des modifications seront apportées à l'article 69.3.1 à l'automne afin de clarifier la procédure."

so nothing to worry about this. ...peoples are used now to get everything rounded up, and i don't think they will bother about this.

Hope that help :)

uname-r,

The requested change to WHMCS is not only to benefit Quebec (which I am from) but other users might and do need it to operate their businesses. I still think that this is good for the software to allow for at least 3 decimal places in taxes. as pointed in a previous post I made, it's easy to fix the software as I've done it myself and it's been working great for me eversince.

• 3 months later...