Free Emails Banned Addon

Matt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Out of interest - if you use this list, what service do you recommend users use for their email?

Their ISP's email provided with their account, or one of their domains hosted with you or someone else. After all if they are web developers, they will have access to a 'proper' traceable email address.

I've not personally seen a downturn in sales since implementing this, just a downturn in fraudulent orders and 0 chargebacks.

I would also add, there has also been a better rate of customers renewing each month/year as emails sent out now tend to arrive more often than they do in free email accounts.

Customers complaining about not receiving invoice emails, usually tended to be in the 'free email' camp.

If they are a webmaster and running a business, they should not put their trust in a free email service. If they do, they pay the price of unreliable service.

Out of interest - if you use this list, what service do you recommend users use for their email?

Their ISP's email provided with their account, or one of their domains hosted with you or someone else. After all if they are web developers, they will have access to a 'proper' traceable email address.

I've not personally seen a downturn in sales since implementing this, just a downturn in fraudulent orders and 0 chargebacks.

That makes sense, i forgot most people who need hosting develop sites... :roll:

Cheers pal

Carl

• 1 month later...

If we apply this "add-on" does the order get blocked as part of the signup (so the client/order never gets created)? Right now we're using MaxMind to do the free email blocking and we get a new client in the system and the order gets marked as fraud. This is kind of a pain as we have to go back and cleanup the client then.

Thanks,

Frank

Yes, it wouldn't allow the user to be created with an email using one of the domains on the list

Matt

Hi Matt,

Can you clarify something for me. Which gets precedence when both are enabled? Maxmind or the Email list?

From my side, it looks like, maxmind overrides and the free email address score of 2.5 comes into play and in my case forces a telephone call to the customer signing up.

I just want to be sure as I'm happy to use maxmind with the phone verification, but don't want the banned email list to have precedence.

Thanks

Simon

• WHMCS CEO

The banned email list will stop the user from ever signing up with an email on one of the domains on the list. Until they signup and checkout, the fraud check isn't run. Doesn't affect orders from existing clients with free emails - only new signups.

Matt

Simon,

I think you'll find this is the order you want. Until we put this in orders were getting into the system, affiliate stuff was running and then MaxMind would cause the order to be marked as fraud and we'd have to cancel the affiliate payment (3rd party script) and the client etc.

Frank

• 3 months later...

I just want to confirm that this will only prevent new users from registering w/ free email domain, correct?

Existing users can still use their free e-mail address?

Is a list of 1300 really needed? Any chance of performance issues with 1300 domains?