duplicate paypal transaction

tripler

Trying to figure out where in the pipeline this occurred.

Today we had a client order 1 service for X amount

They used paypal

Paypal lists 2 separate transactions under different transaction numbers(PayPal transaction numbers) from the client for the same amount of money.

WHMCS transaction log lists the 2 separate transactions and amount

Clients profile shows 1 invoice for only X dollars, not double the amount, not double the services.

Clients profile lists X$ in overpayment.

Clients profile lists 1 service.

At first I thought maybe it was a issue where they mistakenly had two of the same items in the cart, and only being able to provision the item once ot ran the transaction as overpayment. However that would have not caused two transactions equaling 1 overpayment. This was also a promotional offer where (new,only once) was the permissions

Somewhere in the pipeline my client paid twice, any ideas?

There doesn't need to be a duplicate invoice to pay it twice.

They obviously payed it twice using the same invoice number.

Maybe paypal was delayed in sending the IPN and the client thought that the payment didnt go through so they did it again.

Ok, I just spoke with a very nice guy from PayPal via phone. I did have the security feature on.

He ended up returning the payment with no fee to anyone. Apparently the buyer bust have clicked twice.

On a interesting note, The person I spoke with said that the "duplicate invoice" feature will NOT work with the API or anything. It will only work for invoices that are created directly from PayPal

So all you PayPal sellers keep an eye out for this.