Friendly reminder update your copyright year!

magicmanlv

It's not that hard... heres an example

© Copyright 2006 -  {php} echo date(Y); {/php}

This is what we've used, though technically the copyright doesn't shift to the current date unless you've made changes after that date change. We do it anyway.

if you also need this automated on your HTML pages then use

Copyright © 2006 - <!--webbot bot="Timestamp" S-Type="EDITED" S-Format="%Y" -->  

AFAIK, that "webbot" thing only works on Frontpage enabled servers. FP died in 2006, and the server extensions are a liability now. ;)

AFAIK, that "webbot" thing only works on Frontpage enabled servers. FP died in 2006, and the server extensions are a liability now. ;)

not used FT for several year, but server still enabled with this as i have clients using it and so far cpanel will still support this as it is still working software. tring to get clients to change, but they say their sites have forms which rely on fp extensions.

FT? Must mean FP.

Cpanel including it doesn't mean it's safe or supported. Legacy apps seldom are, and this one hadn't seen an update in several years that I'm aware of. Check out the links here.

When FP was EOL'ed, we notified our customers that the extensions for it were being removed. Told them to contact us if they had sites relying on it, and offered to migrate the few things (like forms) that relied on it to something else. Lost no clients, servers more secure and everyone is happy.

Up to you, but it's unsafe, really it is.

FT? Must mean FP.

Cpanel including it doesn't mean it's safe or supported. Legacy apps seldom are, and this one hadn't seen an update in several years that I'm aware of. Check out the links here.

When FP was EOL'ed, we notified our customers that the extensions for it were being removed. Told them to contact us if they had sites relying on it, and offered to migrate the few things (like forms) that relied on it to something else. Lost no clients, servers more secure and everyone is happy.

Up to you, but it's unsafe, really it is.

yes its no longer supported by microsoft. the stance of cpanel is the reason they still list this and will offer limited support for this through their ticket system is because the software itself still works.

i know 1 of my clients using FP ext. is looking for other alternatives and the other 2 just wont budge as their sites use it

The copyright remains in effect for 50 years

this is not true

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/determining-length-of-copyright-protection-29483.html

point 4 applies in this situation

1. Works published from 1909 through 1921.

The initial copyrighted term of the work was 28 years from the date of publication. If the copyright was renewed during the 28th year, the copyright was extended for an additional 28-year period.

2. Works published from 1922 through 1963.

The initial copyrighted term of the work was 28 years from the date of publication. If the copyright was renewed during the 28th year, the copyright was extended for an additional 67-year period.

3. Works published from 1964 through 1978.

The initial copyrighted term of the work was 28 years from the date of publication, with an automatic renewal of an additional 67 years.

4. Works created on or after January 1, 1978.

The following rules apply to published and unpublished works:

For one author, the work is copyright-protected for the life of the author plus 70 years.

For joint authors, the work is protected for the life of the surviving author plus 70 years.

For works made for hire, the work is protected for 95 years from the first publication or 120 years from the date of its creation, whichever is less.

For anonymous and pseudonymous works, the work is protectedfor 95 years from the first publication or 120 years from the date of its creation, whichever is less. (However, if the author's name is disclosed to the U.S. Copyright Office, the work is protected for the life of the author plus 70 years.)

by: Rich Stim, Attorney

but i personall still like to use 1999 to 2012

That regulation applies in the USA, I am in the UK

i am also in UK. these apply its only the last part that applies in the USA

For anonymous and pseudonymous works, the work is protectedfor 95 years from the first publication or 120 years from the date of its creation, whichever is less. (However, if the author's name is disclosed to the U.S. Copyright Office, the work is protected for the life of the author plus 70 years.)

Unless this has changed since 1994, the limit on original work in the UK was 50 years

My solicitor reviews this every year and we made some minor changes in 2005, but was advised no further amendment was required since

If it is longer than that it makes little difference, as the year still does not require updating; the point I was making

Having the current date in that seems to have the desired effect in that it keeps someone looking to rip content from using the "outdated" copyright as a reason to take it without shame. I've had some tell me they thought the work was old and "up for grabs" because the copyright wasn't recent. Good enough reason for me to keep it current.

Just to clarify, a copyright on published work exists upon publishing, and the stated copyright means virtually nothing, at least legally. Not having it leads people to think they can take things, and having it does nothing to enhance your legal standing. A written copyright on a website carries no legal recourse other than enabling you to say it was there, in the case of DMCA takedowns and the like.

Wow, happy new year guys! I started this thread on New Years Eve sitting on a bar stool with my Ipad excited at what the 2012 means a new beginning. I have been reminding my self about this all year since a client called me out on it in march my footer still read 2010!

For the client and now for me too, I feel unsure about making a purchase from a site that does not appear to be living in the current year. Just my opinion, as within the last year I have not purchased anything online that had an out of date right.

To that point I find it fascinating to return and see how this simple post has grown. Wonderful discussion taking place here. I love the ideas about dynamic dated that auto change, defiantly going to be adding this before 2013...and interesting to learn about the UK and USA copyright differences. I learned something ... so thank you.

Anyway seems like a great bunch of people here...I have been watching this forum for years and just recently began using it so I am just a junior member, some day I will join the ranks of senior. I love WHMCS and I love where it is going! Pleased to be a part of this community....

Cheers!

• 2 months later...