List of Security Questions

Hey Guys,

I thought it would be great to start a thread with a list of security questions you can have for your clients in WHMCS.

Here are the ones I tend to use in my installations of WHMCS. Feel free to contribute to this for others to use.

1. In what city or town was your first job?
  2. What is your maternal grandmother's maiden name?
  3. What was the name of your elementary / primary school?
  4. What is your youngest brother’s birthday?
  5. Where does your nearest sibling live?
  6. What was the last name of your third grade teacher?
  7. What is the first name of the boy or girl that you first kissed?
  8. In what city or town did your mother and father meet?
  9. What was the name of your first stuffed animal?
  10. What is your oldest cousin's first and last name?
  11. What was your childhood phone number including area code? (e.g., 000-000-0000)
  12. What school did you attend for sixth grade?
  13. What is your oldest sibling's middle name?
  14. What is your oldest sibling’s birthday month and year? (e.g., January 1900)
  15. What is the middle name of your youngest child?
  16. What street did you live on in third grade?
  17. What is the name of your favorite childhood friend?
  18. In what city did you meet your spouse/significant other?
  19. What was your childhood nickname?

You mean like a customized field for the customer? Where they can input their own question? I dont think WHMCS comes with that ability.

These are just the list of security questions I use on my own site. The customer can choose any one. I believe these questions are used in the password reset function.

This is just something that I thought I should share. Since WHMCS does not come with any preinstalled ones.

You mean like a customized field for the customer? Where they can input their own question? I dont think WHMCS comes with that ability.

Yep, I would like to use the old family name but there's no option like that at all. Perhaps I could use the old clan's name but nothing like that either. But it would be good if the prompt could be user definable. That is, without me hacking the database. :twisted:

hahaha the goal of a security question is it is something you can remember the answer to but still cause a challenge for someone else.... I can recall quite a few on this list. But the questions on my web banking account I can never recall..... its really hit or miss with the questions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't think its important that the client should pick a correct answer for their security question. It is all about remembering the tricky answer of any of these security questions.

For an example

if the client choose the question

In what city or town was your first job? in at security answer he put his birth day it will be hard for anyone to think about the answer and most importantly the client should remember the answer.

A security answer should be something like this that will make it more complex to be leaked.

If the client put the real answer it may possible some one near to him / her can guess the answer but with such complex answer where the question ask something else and answer is something else, make it harder for anyone to guess.:idea:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For a quick install create a temporary PHP file in your home WHMCS directory. Run the following script:

<?php

include "dbconnect.php";
include "includes/functions.php";

//mysql_query("DELETE FROM `tbladminsecurityquestions` WHERE 1"); #If something goes wrong this will clear the slate for your questions.
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('In what city or town was your first job?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What is your maternal grandmother\'s maiden name?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What was the name of your elementary / primary school?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What is your youngest brother\'s birthday?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('Where does your nearest sibling live?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What was the last name of your third grade teacher?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What is the first name of the boy or girl that you first kissed?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('In what city or town did your mother and father meet?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What was the name of your first stuffed animal?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What is your oldest cousin\'s first and last name?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What was your childhood phone number including area code? (e.g., 000-000-0000)')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What school did you attend for sixth grade?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What is your oldest sibling\'s middle name?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What is your oldest sibling\'s birthday month and year? (e.g., January 1900)')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What is the middle name of your youngest child?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What street did you live on in third grade?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What is the name of your favorite childhood friend?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('In what city did you meet your spouse/significant other?')."')");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `tbladminsecurityquestions` (`question`) VALUES ('".encrypt('What was your childhood nickname?')."')");

Delete the file after you run the script. The security questions will be added.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...