HOWTO: Adding a SpellChecker to WHMCS

I figured many people could use this feature as the spell checker that comes with Firefox won't spell check text within the TinyMCE editor (this is the editor used for writing emails and the knowledgebase). Let's start :)

You can download the TinyMCE Spellchecker plugin
here

Extract that archive and you should get a folder called 'spellchecker', upload it to /whmcs_path/templates/admin_path/editor/plugins/.

Now we're going to have to edit the config file for TinyMCE in order to get the new plugin recognized, this file is located in /whmcs_path/templates/admin_path/editor/editor.php, download that and run it in a text editor of your choice (if you don't have anything custom installed such as Notepad++ just use Notepad). You're going to see a line that looks like this:

plugins : "style,table,advhr,advimage,advlink,iespell,inlinepopups,insertdatetime,media,searchreplace,contextmenu,paste,directionality,fullscreen,visualchars,xhtmlxtras",

Copy and paste this over that whole line:

plugins : "style,table,advhr,advimage,advlink,iespell,inlinepopups,insertdatetime,media,searchreplace,contextmenu,paste,directionality,fullscreen,visualchars,xhtmlxtras,spellchecker",

Now we just have to edit one more line which will actually load the spellchecker button into the menu. You have to decide where you want it, but I just added mine to the 3rd line at the very end. To do this, edit this line:

theme_advanced_buttons3 : "tablecontrols,|,hr,removeformat,visualaid,|,sub,sup,|,charmap,emotions,iespell,media,advhr,|,ltr,rtl,|,fullscreen",

And copy and paste this over it:

theme_advanced_buttons3 : "tablecontrols,|,hr,removeformat,visualaid,|,sub,sup,|,charmap,emotions,iespell,media,advhr,|,ltr,rtl,|,fullscreen|,spellchecker",

Now upload the editor.php file in its originating directory and you're all set :-P This plugin by default uses Google's spell checker and supports a few languages but if you feel up to it you can edit the spell checking engine by messing around with the /spellchecker/config.php file.

Btw Matt, you think you could add this by default to newer versions of WHMCS, I'm using Firefox v3.5 with their spellchecker but because TinyMCE is java based it won't load the spell checker. Either way please look at it :)

Edited by DedicatedPros

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 years later and this still hasnt been integrated into WHMCS? :shock:

I dont think it was ever requested specifically as a feature, but yes, it should have been integrated long before now. having said that, i am sure i read somewhere that tinymce is end of line.

Dont quote me on that it could have been something else, but i am fairly certain..

Edit:

I just looked on the website and found they have a release on the 21st june so i suppose not.

Edited by disgruntled

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...