Community Supported Knowledge Base

Pima

I have seen many requests for a "Drop In" KnowledgeBase.

While many most likely feel that they have invested much time into their KB and are reluctant to share, there are others that might also be willing to support and share at least a skeleton or base of information.

If you are interested in contributing, read on.

I will take upon myself to host and create a vessel where "registered" users could add KB articles and then provide either weekly or monthly dumps of the KB table that can obtained and inserted into their WHMCS install.

I see this in the beginning as only a primer or "Good Beginning" to a full service KB but feel that even this might assist others in getting started. It may develop into a community tips & tricks exchange - we will see??

To start, any potential contributors should create "non-branded" articles in plain text with a Title and the body in plain text and email them to me using a title from the list below or one they have that is better.

Send to

knowledge at kobra.ws

I will measure the interest in being involved from this and if there exists enough interest I will get a WHMCS install setup where "Registered Users" could have access to add non-branded articles directly.

So the ball is in your courts - Let us see how much interest there is??

For those maybe wanting to have this, you can also contribute something and not just wait for it to be available....everyone has some tidbit to add.

Sample Titles Area:

Account

Additional Software

Domain Names & DNS

General

Getting Started

htaccess

html Guides

Mod Re-Write

PHP Settings

Pre-Sales Questions

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wooo. settle down their bro. I am talking about Hundreds of dollars worth of design and development tutorials, that my company has and uses as a subscription for clients. Kind of weird for you to just ask for an email like that. I was merely throwing out ideas for a pretty cool project.

Your post that quick to ask for an email, kind of just turned me off from this topic. Good luck with your idea.

My OP laid out the schema of this as a contribution vessel to share

Your post that quick to ask for an email, kind of just turned me off from this topic
I wouldn't be apposed to creating some voice video tutorials for a project like this. I even have some flash, and Dreamweaver video tutorials for website design/development...

Based upon you response what was I supposed to do?

I would guess that another that stated this would not draw much interest was correct. Too much talk not enough walk

This would most certainly be a good idea. Please let me know if you are still considering it and I will gladly supply a dump of my KB for you.

This would definitely add to the overall product (a complete and pre-integrated KB w/ flash and audio tutorials). A feature like this might just make the determining factor in choosing WHMCS; besides, the more customers the better the community and the more development dollars.

SoftDux,

You want to offer his service, at a cost, but expect other people to contribute towards it?
there are others that might also be willing to support and share at least a skeleton or base of information.

No at any Cost....Free, open source like BUT only for WHMCS users. I am only willing to be the collective for this and to diseminate the resulting product, Free of charge to registered WHMCS users.

If you would rather be the point for this I have no Issue with that and will be a willing participant.

As I tried to impress in my original post:

There are many trying to get setup and having at least a base set of KB articles that could be plugged in right away would be a benefit to them and a possible draw to use WHMCS. The more that use WHMCS the better for Matt & team and the volume should benefit us all in keeping prices relatively the same.

I also stated as an aside, that this might evolve into a tips & tricks exchange for the rest of us that already have their KB relatively complete.

Face it, we as individuals do not know every nuance or workaround. Sharing here is akin to in the forum only on a slightly more targeted subject.

• 3 weeks later...
My OP laid out the schema of this as a contribution vessel to share

Based upon you response what was I supposed to do?

I would guess that another that stated this would not draw much interest was correct. Too much talk not enough walk

You shouldn't just say OK SEND THEM TO ME.....

I am not all talk no walk, but to just send you $350. worth of video tut's just cause you "say" you are just the collective, makes me wonder about your motives.

Had you said, that would be cool, we will see what others might want to contribute, I would not have been so quick to judge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

As a relative new-comer to WHMCS and to hosting in general, I would certainly be very interested in this project. I may be "taking out" more than I would be "putting in" just because my KB isnt very big at the moment (and none of it is online yet!) but more than willing to contribute whatever I have got when you are ready

How is it going - actually received anything yet ?

Ian

You shouldn't just say OK SEND THEM TO ME.....

I am not all talk no walk, but to just send you $350. worth of video tut's just cause you "say" you are just the collective, makes me wonder about your motives.

Well Video Tutorials are not normally considered KB Items IMO - -

And you can wonder all you want about motives OR you can be the collective if you want.....

I'd be interested. I have a pretty decent KB up as it is and would love to get more and to contribute mine.
Count me in
my KB isnt very big at the moment (and none of it is online yet!) but more than willing to contribute whatever I have got when you are ready

I provided an email addy in my OP to all the above individuals

This equates to four + myself and I believe that in the end this will mostly be a unbranded BASE for a KB and one that will most likely for the near term only be supported by a select few that have an interest is aiding others and those that would be their competition.

As I have stated and re-state here, This is for a "FREE" basic KB that can then be built upon.

If I receive enough interest and material I am willing to provide the hosting space and a full functioning WHMCS install where interested and approved parties can be given a login to add one or more articles at any time.

I am only willing to take this next step and cost burden if and only if there is a viable group that will make additions to it making this a worthwhile project and not one that just sits there with no further input.

I'd like to help. Don't know what I can do.

WHMCS since 2005

2005?? Should have alot to contribute but may have to un-brand??

send me a PM
Count me in, send me a PM.

PM's sent but a emailaddy is in my original posting??

I am currently working on getting an install setup for this so that articles can be added by approved individuals directly into WHMCS....Hopefully by the end of the week(have business to attend to ya know)

A dump is quicker if one has many articles.

To those that have expressed interest in contributing to this effort:

I have setup a WHMCS install for only the "Common" Knowlwdge Base and have applied my KB dump to it.

It is ready & web accessible for any that might want to view, add one or more articles or have their KB dump added to it.

For access You MUST email me from a Business email addy at(remove spaces):

knowledge @ kobra.ws

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a good idea. Those starting out and those with a limited KB will obviously have more interest than those that have spent a great deal of time on it. Some thought might need to go it how it will work... I mean a slick script that would let you manually select which articles you want to use and only insert those ones.

Not to rain on the parade but there is one negative to this concept... SEO... Search engines don't like to see the same content on multiple sites. Search engines will give you a higher ranking if your content is unique to your site.