UK Domain Registrars

SandyM

Question

Hi,

Does WHMCS support any UK based registrars? I looked through the list and the only one I could see was Nominet who are the Internet Registry for UK domains rather than a registrar themselves. We would also want to register non UK based domains.

Many thanks,

Sandy

18 answers to this question

Hi there,

Just use someone like Enom, they are the best supported registrar in WHMCS. Although most of the registrars supported by WHMCS also offer .uk domain registrations.

We use Nominet for .uk domain registrations and everything else we put through Enom. We are an Enom ETP so get some great pricing for non uk domains.

If you really are looking for a UK based registrar (not sure why) then use someone like Total Registrations, http://www.totalregistrations.com/ , however WHMCS doesn't support them at this time but I guess you could write some code to interface with them.

We do actually use Total Registrations at the moment for domains we acquired following an acquisition of another hosting company, however we are migrating all non .uk domains across to Enom asap. I can only assume you want a UK based registrar to handle this so you can be billing by them in our (pounds sterling) currency?

I hope this helps!

Neil

Hi

I also use Enom for all non .uk domains - their system seems foolproof and the module works well in WHMCS.

I have been registering all .uk domains manually until today with another UK based domain registrar as they had teh best prices around but I have finally signed up with Nominet and will be using the EPP module in WHMCS.

It really depends on how many .uk domains you are registering - if you dont have many then use Enom but if you have a reasonable number then the price differential makes if worthwhile signing up with Nominet

Regards

Ian

Why would you want to use a UK based registrar?

For pricing, I think ResellerClub is best, I am not keen on supporting an Indian based company though. Oh well. However eNom has good marketing tools available however their customer support stinks, but at least they speak English! ;)

Why would I want to use a UK based reseller ??

Why not support companies in my own country rather than somewhere else ? I would much prefer to keep my money in this country !

Nominet offer .uk domains much cheaper than anyone else as they are THE UK registry and as an example Reseller Club are approx twice the price for .co.uk domains

Nominet's support is first class

Dont need too many more reasons !

Given the exchange rate at the moment it probably doesn't make sense to use Enom for .uk registrations, so in turn doesn't really make sense to not become Nominet members - apart from that it makes life much easier and of course adds a little emphasis to your service :)

I have been using enom for some years now and I have to say that the support is rather slow and lousy and they seem to break things quite often and then take months to fix them. For example they broke the SSL management on PDQ sites last year and still have not fixed it, so our customers cannot buy or manage SSL's at the moment.

Also enom do not support all .uk TLD's, such as .me.uk or .ltd.uk

does WHMCS allow you to use different registers for different TLD's ?

Hi snake,

WHMCS does allow you to use multiple registrars.

We use Nominet for all our .uk registrations and eNom for everything else. You can choose for WHMCS to automatically use whatever registrar you choose for each TLD (provided WHMCS have a module to support that registrar) by configuring this under 'Domain Pricing'. Alternatively you can register the domain manually when you accept an order, at which time you select from a drop down which registrar you wish to register the domain through (provided you have the given registrar module configured)

Hope this helps.

gr8 thanks for that. When WHM uses enom, does it register them directly under your ETP account or does it create a user for them. Also does it allow the user to manage all the domain settings or do they have to login to enom for that.

How about enom SSL certs, can they order these via WHM?

Apart from the membership costs ;)

£12 (say) - £5 = Nominet membership £7/domain cheaper. So after 57 domains it works out cheaper to become a member :) (assuming membership fee of £400 offhand, then the £100/yr is covered in those 57)

Only relevant if you keep your charges high of course...but taking advantage of membership and offering lower prices boosts volume....:)

?? If WHM has nothing to do with domain registration then what exactly is the point of the domain registrar support?

Snake,

WHM has nothing to do with domain name registration or the purchase of SSL certs.

Your customers can login to their client area to manage the domain name. SSL Certs can be ordered and configured through WHMCS as well: http://wiki.whmcs.com/Enom_SSL_Certificates

?? If WHM has nothing to do with domain registration then what exactly is the point of the domain registrar support?

WHM = Web Host Manager, a server control panel (AKA cPanel).

WHMCS = WHM Complete Solution, the piece of software associated with these forums.

They are two different products, it's important to distinguish between the two.

gr8 thanks for that. When WHM uses enom, does it register them directly under your ETP account or does it create a user for them. Also does it allow the user to manage all the domain settings or do they have to login to enom for that.

How about enom SSL certs, can they order these via WHM?

The domain registration is processed through WHMCS to Enom using your ETP account details. To the customer, you appear as the registrar and the domain management options are made available in the WHMCS Client Area under My Domains >. The customer does not login to Enom site.

Not sure how SSL Cert is provisioned with WHMCS/Enom as we don't use that facility