No callback url in the paypal IPN?

I just upgraded to the latest version of whmcs and noticed the payments were not being applied to my users account paying with paypal.

Then i noticed this "You should enable IPN in your PayPal account and leave the URL blank" in the new version

my question is if there is no callback url in the paypal IPN, how is whmcs going to know a payment has been made?

thanks

• WHMCS CEO

People often use a single PayPal account with multiple systems so we don't force you to set the callback URL to the WHMCS callback file. However, when the user is sent to make a payment, WHMCS supplies PayPal with the URL it wants the callbacks relating to it sent to and therefore it still knows where to send the callbacks for WHMCS initiated payments.

For why your callbacks aren't working, I'd suggest opening a ticket so we can take a look.

Matt

I have been experiencing a major problem where I am not getting any PayPal IPN call back.

But I have a theory on what is causing this and I think I am correct.

It seems lately a lot of hosts have been upgrading to PHP 5.2.5. This has caused a spur of people reporting an error (when navigating their client/admin area) stating that ionCube PHP Loader ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so needs to be installed.

Well it just so happens that when I navigated to my WHMCS/Paypal call-back URL (ie. http://www.site.com/cs/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php, I get this very same error:

Site error: the file /home/user/public_html/whmcs/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php requires the ionCube PHP Loader ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so to be installed by the site administrator.

Prior to the PHP 5.2.5 upgrade, this error never occurred, and this means that if PayPal called my site at that URL, the callback function would have worked and been recorded in WHMCS's gateway log.

Solution:

Copy your PHP.ini to /home/user/public_html/whmcs/modules/gateways/callback

I haven't had a sale since fixing this, but I have a feeling the next IPN call-back I get will actually work.