WHMCS and PHP 7

R-n-R

The ink is barely dry on the new name for phpng being PHP 7. But just a little over a year ago, the estimate is that PHP 7 would be in Alpha by this time in 2015. In reality, as of today (August 6, 2015) PHP 7 is now at Beta 3. Beta 2 to Beta 3 in less than 2 weeks. And 'scuttle but' has it PHP 7 could be released around the first of 2016, maybe end of 2015?

I am sure it will be a long, long time before WHMCS minimum requirement is PHP 7.0.0, but the more important discussion at this stage, what about making plans for making WHMCS PHP 7 compatible in 2016? Are there any discussions in process now? Could we see something in mid / late 2016?

One of the most exciting benefits is the Improved performance which is claimed at 2 times faster than PHP 5.6. Some Bench Marks I have seen reported is with WordPress running on PHP 7, of bench marks of 2.5 times faster. And they are still working on improving the speed. Which would be great for WHMCS.

Just wanted to open discussion, get some idea as to what WHMCS is thinking.

Edited by R-n-R

• 5 months later...

Just wondering if anyone else is interested in PHP 7. As of today January 10, 2016, PHP 7.0.2 is latest version. http://php.net/archive/2016.php

PHP 7 is showing up in CloudLinux, and its my understanding PHP 7 should be available with cPanel 54.

Is there any discussions at WHMCS about officially saying WHMCE will run on PHP 7? Or since the tight relationship between cPanel and WHMCS waiting for cPanel 54 to release?

Has anyone tested WHMCS on PHP 7, I would, but just do not have the time at the moment.

Is there any discussions at WHMCS about officially saying WHMCE will run on PHP 7? Or since the tight relationship between cPanel and WHMCS waiting for cPanel 54 to release?

the closest you'll get to a comment is from last November...

We certainly do intend to provide support for PHP 7.0 and are well under-way working towards it. At this time Ioncube has not yet released a date for when they will begin offering support for PHP 7.0 but rest assured we are working to bring PHP 7.0 support as soon as possible.

I would imagine it will added as a major release, so v6.3 or v6.4 depending on its release time - but you're probably looking at the summer at the earliest.