half second delay for admin menu dropdown

neobug103

I propose that Matt implements a half second delay for the menu that drops down when you put your mouse over the big buttons in the Admin panel because I find myself constantly switching tabs and my mouse goes up and down and it often goes over the big buttons and then the menu drops down right on top of the button that i need to press in the clients profile.

Not a hard request but I think it could make our lives a little easier by avoiding accidental menu drop downs.

then another minor request, on the summary page of a client, would it be possible to move the email box above the 'actions' box as we are using the email section a lot more then the 'actions' box and it would save us some time if we didn't have to scroll down all the time just to send an email.

Well I know you can get the dropdown menu to disappear by moving the mouse on it but nonetheless it gets in the way a lot of the time and that is say 3 seconds out of my time just to wait for that menu to go away so I can continue on with my business.

• 2 weeks later...

You can already tweak the delay in admin/javascript/menu.js

There is a line about half way down:

var disappeardelay=250 //menu disappear speed onMouseout (in miliseconds)

Looks like it's already a 1/4 a second. Doesn't get in the way for me at all. Maybe you can try this at 0.

Eger - that will only affect the timeout for when the menu disappears. What we are looking at here is a way to add a slight delay to when the menu will appear. I agree with OP, that the menu is coming up too fast and it would be nice to add this slight delay.

I've spent the last hour or so looking into this and playing with some code in menu.js, but no luck. What I did find, is that this menu appears to be loosely based on the free Chrome drop down menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chrome/index.htm).

I think we need to implement onMouseover or onHover in the menu.js, but it's a little over my head.

If anyone who knows a bit of js can wrap their brain around this, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.